• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator upgrade for a 1970 Charger

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:19 AM
Reaction score
The engine is a 440/493. I plan to install a new A/C setup from Classic Auto Air. When I put the car together 15+ years ago, I used a radiator with the inlet and outlet correct for a 318. I'm going to need a new radiator with the "nipples" in the stock B/RB location because of the location of the A/C compressor.
Glen Ray sells some good stuff but I am NOT going to pay $1200 for a radiator. The universal Griffin that I have in the car now has never overheated so I am looking at another Griffin model:
http://www.griffinrad.com/load_deta...=1970&make=Dodge&model=Charger&key_id=5-00005
Since the A/C places additional strain on the engine, a shroud is a must. It looks like there is a flange there to mount one.
Has anyone here used this radiator with good results?

I can't answer the question, but to save money, did you consider just changing the water pump? They make at least 2 different models for the 440 with suction (inlet) in different directions. May not work and you probably know already but what they hey, I thought I'd throw it up here! Check out 440source! Good Luck!

Can't speak of that radiator but can say 2 rows at 1" wide in an aluminum radiator keep mine plenty cool with A/C. I'm running dual electric fans wired to come on at a preset temp or anytime the A/C is on. Good luck.

Call frank at speed cooling, can’t beat the price 26” 2 row 1” tubes and dual electric fans for $500 shipped. Made in USA, I’ve talked to him about a radiator for my car he definitely has all my future business.

Summer 2013 137.JPG
I can't answer the question, but to save money, did you consider just changing the water pump? They make at least 2 different models for the 440 with suction (inlet) in different directions. May not work and you probably know already but what they hey, I thought I'd throw it up here! Check out 440source! Good Luck!

The situation is that the stock mounting location of the A/C compressor for Big Block engines is on the left. Currently my upper radiator hose is on the left as is the case with 318 engines of the 1970 year. The 1970 B/RB has a top nipple on the right, bottom nipple on the left. I have another water pump housing that has the lower hose fitting on the left/driver side so I'll just need a good A/C compatible radiator with the nipple/hose connections in the correct position.

The situation is that the stock mounting location of the A/C compressor for Big Block engines is on the left. Currently my upper radiator hose is on the left as is the case with 318 engines of the 1970 year. The 1970 B/RB has a top nipple on the right, bottom nipple on the left. I have another water pump housing that has the lower hose fitting on the left/driver side so I'll just need a good A/C compatible radiator with the nipple/hose connections in the correct position.
The first question frank asked me when I called is if the car has AC, I’d say give him a call I’m sure he will get ya set up right. Search speed cooling here on the forum a lot of guys running them.

Thank you. I will call him. This is a big help and I THANK YOU !!
Thumb UP.JPG

K.D I'm running the Griffin universal radiator as well and have No problems, I'm building a New race Engine with the expectations of 800+HP and Considering using a them again.

ECP for sure. I'm running their 26" with a factory style shroud and 7 blade fan... absolutely zero regrets, a little massaging to get it to fit to my liking but was worth it in the end .... and I do plan on running a/c in the near future with that exact setup ... I painted mine with Eastwood radiator paint

20170731_112556.jpg 20170731_145231.jpg

I used the griffin exact fit radiator. I made some brackets to adapt the 26" to a 22" opening. I also put classic air on. Factory shroud fit fairly good. I have pictures on my thread. 69 gtx. I made extra brackets if your interested. Derwud has a pair of them on his 70 if you have any questions let me or him know.

View attachment 561423

By the way, My Rad is also from Speed Cooling!:)

I called and ordered a 26" radiator from Speed Cooling/ECP. Frank was the guy on the phone. $259 including shipping. Score !

I called and ordered a 26" radiator from Speed Cooling/ECP. Frank was the guy on the phone. $259 including shipping. Score !
Take your time, use your factory shroud as a template. Then cut and drill.. it takes a little effort, but cannot be beat for the price !

I don't think that I have a shroud. I have a few small block 26" shrouds though.

I picked up a factory mopar big block shroud from my dodge dealer parts dept... it fit the car perfect, fan was dead center.

Auto Transport Service
Back