• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rallye Gauges - Lense replacement or Polishing

plymouthman72

Local time
8:43 PM
Reaction score
I have a 72 Road Runner and I was curious to know if anyone has ever been able to find a company that would replace just the lenses or that part of the assembly. If not, does anyone have a recommendation on how to polish them? the gas & speedo gauge have what I can only describe as stress fractures from age but not broken. I would be intersted in buy one if someone had one available but I wanted to avoid just asking for that given that it not what this section is for. Thanks for any tips!

There are some plastic polishes out there and they can sometimes remove the haze that builds up on some gauge lenses but I don't think there's much you can do to remove the light "spiderweb" (for lack of a better term) light stress cracks that show up. I would imagine that your best bet is going to try and find some original lenses that are in better condition than what you are working with and just swap em out. I don't know that they make repro's for us. I can imagine that if they did, they'd be as pricey as everything else seems to be.

Too bad we don't get the repro backing that Mustangs get. Replacement lenses are cheap on those things but who would want a Rustang anyway... Yuck. *spit

Can you show a picture of the lenses? Just for an idea of the condition.

Polishing to remove haze is easy, as Magnes stated. I get great results with PlastX from Meguiars.
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12310

I don't know about crazing, but small cracks or tiny holes can be repaired with tricks that the modelling community uses. Testor's clear parts and window maker cement is a good start, and so is Krystal Klear. Sometimes just rubbing in a bit of mineral oil will fill the cracks so they're not as noticeable.

http://www.mfpilot.com/model-suppli...lear-parts-cement-window-maker-testors-liquid

http://www.bare-metal.com/decals/microscale_3.html

My dad had a local plastic company cut out a new set for our 74. Works well but was kind of expensive for a one off set.

Here are some pictures. I'm looking for some affordable replacements but its not so easy. How I love Mopars but darn they are so bleeping expensive to fix. Thanks for all your help.

20140102_213518.jpg20140102_213513.jpg

Attachments

• 20140102_213503.jpg
    20140102_213503.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 583
I don't have that year cluster so I'm not familiar with them. Are the plastic lenses flat, or domed? If they're flat, go to home depot and get a sheet of lexan and cut out some new ones.

I would say you need some new ones, I don't know how you could clean those up. Check with BE@A are Herb's and see if any one is making these yet. If not just watch E-bay and find you a decent set. Good Luck Ronnie

Here is a couple pictures of the lenses and amp gauge I have.

Mike

Attachments

• lenses cluster back.JPG
    lenses cluster back.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 472
  • lenses cluster face.JPG
    lenses cluster face.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 468
I just sent him a message, I'll let you know of he responds.
Bob

You can remove them easily by picking away at the very thin plastic that is holding them, which reveals the post. They can be gently pryed up and will come off. Once they are off, you can easily polish them on a bench or a with a wheel.

To re-install, just set them over the posts and put a small dab of clear silicone adhesive on the holes to hold them in place.

I bought a set off him for my dash for my charger for 20 bucks but I think he only had a few sets left when I bought mine and that was over a year ago

Still haven't heard back. If anyone knows him (fury?) they might try giving him a call?

Hello wp29p4a. I won't even try to figure out what that name means, but...welcome to the forum!

Hello wp29p4a. I won't even try to figure out what that name means,
Vin.
Charger/premium(SE)/400 4bbl/1974/Lynch Rd.

Thanks for stopping by Mike. I was telling everyone how great they looked.

I would love to get a set of the lenses for my 74 if you still have one available.
Thanks.

Hey wp29p4a if you are in and see this I need a set of lenses for my charger ,if anyone knows how to get a hold of him please pass this msg along .Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back