• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready to go racing!

I was looking at picture #2 in post #1, are you missing a cotter pin on the lower castle nut?

Only one thing to say....FABULOUS CAR......
Mike, thanks for the compliment! Appreciate it. You've sure gotten your Coronet running well. Surpassed your goal and then some. Very impressive.

I was looking at picture #2 in post #1, are you missing a cotter pin on the lower castle nut?
Hi Hoser! Yes, both front spindle bolts, there's no cotter pins. The rear spindle bolts have no provisions for cotter pins so I have all of them locktited. You make a good point though, Someone at tech could have issue and insist cotter pins so I'll take care of that.

Hope your not upset I pointed it out. I welcome stuff like that, that will save me some possible grief latter.

Hope your not upset I pointed it out. I welcome stuff like that, that will save me some possible grief latter.[/QUOTE. It was a nothing thing anyways.

Hope your not upset I pointed it out. I welcome stuff like that, that will save me some possible grief latter.
Actually it's kind of funny. Last week we were talking about shocks when I was asking you about clearance with the adjusters. I noted in your post that your lower ball joint didn't have a cotter pin.

Yep, I'm waiting till it's on the ground to torque everything. Hopefully soon. Great minds think alike!

Thanks for the compliments on the Plymouth. During the build the goal was to have a 10.5 car and I think that's attainable. My combo is a 505, Pro trans with brake and Coan 5K converter, 4.10 Dana. 3400lbs less driver & exhaust. How's the 63 working these days Ron?

She is running fine. I have had it out a few times this year but I have been sick the last week or so so I have not had it out in 2 weeks. Hope to be out this weekend cruising around if I feel ok. Ron

Malex, I backed off the torsion bars and compressed my front suspension to see what I had for clearance on the shock knobs. Plenty of room.
IMG_20170427_170108262.jpg
IMG_20170427_170122214.jpg

I thought I had checked it but doesn't hurt to double check. Racing this weekend?

I thought I had checked it but doesn't hurt to double check. Racing this weekend?
Yes those are expensive shocks. The poor fellow that had that one of his get damaged.
No racing for a month yet. Remember I'm in the great white north.

So my 10 year old pit manager grand son and I took the 64 to the track on the weekend to feel it out.
Got into tech and was told that I needed a locking trans dipstick and trans blanket so the fast as the car could run that day was 11.5. They then said 11.0 was the limit.
We got 3 passes in just the same and it was good to get down the track to feel it out.

My first pass was a brutal reaction time, bad 60'and I was into the rev limiter in both first and second gears. As the car left the glove box door flew open- major distraction and messed me right up! The car didn't want to pull well neither it seemed. That pass ended up at 12.5 @ 111 mph. Got back to the pit and found that the trans fluid was low by 2.5 litres! I have no clue why it was low and there has been no sign of a leak. Anyways, got that fixed up, adjusted the glove box latch and corrected the fuel level to 1/4 tank.

2nd pass. Warmed up the tires good. Got my switches set as I rolled up into the beams. I was staged quickly so another poor reaction time and brutal 60'. Damned glove box flew open again too! Slow rpms coming up - damn, I left in 2nd gear! Was still in second from the burnout. Trans felt better though but car still not quite right all the way through. Finished that pass @ 11.7 @ 120mph. It's got to get better than this! Also noticed on this pass that the hood latch moved and the hood was up a good inch.

3rd pass. Corrected fuel level to 1/4 tank. Readjusted the hood latch and tightened real good. A better reaction time this pass but car still not right. With a better launch and getting the feel of the car it now was laying over worse. I noticed the fuel pressure go away on this pass though. Ended up with a 11.20 @ 115 mph. Again the hood latch slipped up in the slots and glove box flung open. Obviously the scoop is grabbing good air. The day was north wind gusts up to 70km/hr and a north facing track.

With a fuel problem and still getting close to the 11.0 limit I decided to call it a day, make the needed changes and fix up the fuel issue. So homeward bound we headed. The existing fuel pump in the car had given me previous problems so an upgraded pump and regulator is going in along with a trans blanket and new dipstick. Then we'll get back at it again.

While I was researching a good pump to purchase I read that fuel tanks with sumps must run no less than 1/2 tank of fuel to eliminate cavitation. I decided to empty my tank to find out the amount of fuel I was running with and found the reason the Plymouth was not feeling quite right... Another thing I found is my converter is draining back as the fluid level is way over full now and the shift lever seal is seeping. Will need to read up on the drain back issue or if you guys have advise please share. It doesn't leak until it's been sitting for a day or so.

So the first day out with the Plymouth was both good and bad and we're excited to get back at it. Only have a couple of pictures to share from the day.
IMG_1207.JPG

Unloaded and about to head to tech.
IMG_1208.JPG

I had no clue about the trans blanket or locking dipstick. Other than that all was good.

IMG_1209.JPG

My Pit manager got an invite for some lunch and he was gone!

IMG_1212.JPG

This is how much fuel was in my tank when it's at 1/4 on the gauge. Needless to say my fuel problem was my own doing. So much for assumption. I put the fuel back in and another 5 gallons added. 5/8 tank now and should be good. We'll find out soon enough.

Could catches. I calibrated my fuel gauge before installation for this very reason. I also didn't know about the locking dipstick. Let me know where you find one. If I understand you correctly, it and the tranny blanket are only needed if quicker than 11:50? Good outing.

Could catches. I calibrated my fuel gauge before installation for this very reason. I also didn't know about the locking dipstick. Let me know where you find one. If I understand you correctly, it and the tranny blanket are only needed if quicker than 11:50? Good outing.

Thanks 69. Yes my fuel issue was my own fault. I took for granted that a 1/4 tank would likely be about 4 gallons and with the added sump, no issue. I blew that one.. Easily fixed though and it likely saved me a warning that day.
For my hood latch I adjusted it, and drilled and pinned it now, can't slide anymore.
Summit sells several locking types. I chose the Hughes locking dipstick with tube. It gave the best reviews and at 56 bucks. Quicker than 11.0 and a blanket is needed.

I plan on going with a fibreglass hood and front bumper so I'm in the market guys. Anyone?

I'm shooting for 11.50. because I didn't want to run a bar. I'm hoping it'll do 11.20 on good days and 11.50 in the heat.

When I ran the stock tank in my 63 Dodge we extended the pickup towards the back of tank using a compression fitting and additional piece of fuel line tubing. A factory GM Trans locking dipstick will work if you add one wrap of electrical tape around the expanding ( locking) portion of the stick. Just trim and recalibrate (they are too long). 727 trans will always be way over full after setting. Check hot after a run for the proper level.
Doug

Made 3 test runs before red lighting in the first round. But was a good day and slowly getting a little quicker each pass
IMG_1244.PNG

IMG_1238.JPG

I was the left lane.
Hoping for better tomorrow and no hurricane head winds for a change.

Auto Transport Service
Back