• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear drum brakes

MD Mopar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
I am thinking of upgrading the rear drum brakes on my 65 belvedere II to 11x 2 1/2" rear drums. Will this upgrade be possible without any modifications. ? Will it reduce the tire size in the wheel well opening. What would be the best brake shoe to use ? I already have disk brakes on the front with a manual setup. thanks

I am thinking of upgrading the rear drum brakes on my 65 belvedere II to 11x 2 1/2" rear drums. Will this upgrade be possible without any modifications. ? Will it reduce the tire size in the wheel well opening. What would be the best brake shoe to use ? I already have disk brakes on the front with a manual setup. thanks
I've often wondered where the extra 1/2 inch was taken up when going from 2 to 2 1/2 drums. I would think it was accounted for in the shape of the drum or the backing plates were set back further. I doubt that the axle's were longer but I suppose anything's possible. I'd be interested to hear from you if you pull it off and find out exactly where that extra 1/2 inch is taken up.

The backing plates determines the width of brake shoes. Why not go to backing plates for 3" shoes?
Front brakes do the most of the work, more to gain there.

Last edited:
Also check for clearance at your rims. I had to go with 15" (64 cop wheels) on my 64, running a later rear axle, to clear the drums.

Considering how little braking the rears provide (compared to the fronts), would that extra 1/2" be worth the time, effort and cost? Would it even be noticeable?

Considering how little braking the rears provide (compared to the fronts), would that extra 1/2" be worth the time, effort and cost? Would it even be noticeable?
I do have 15" wheels. Currently have 10" on the rear and want to upgrade. Dr. Diff seems to have what I need. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back