• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear End Noise?

69roadr

Local time
3:01 PM
Reaction score
so i took my 69 Roadrunner out yesterday, and when i'm coming to a stop, hear this very faint whine. and it changes pitch the slower i go, and eventually stops when car is stopped. also, when making a right turn, the pass. side tire spins quite easily as i can hear chirping. if i take off in a straight line, both wheels spin as normal, but if i get on it around a right turn, the pass. side tire will go up in smoke. is the sure grip supposed to have equal traction? or is there possibly something wrong with mine. it's an 8-3/4 with 3.91.
note: i did have the pass. side axle out recently to replace bearings and seals.

Limited slip rears do not like to be hammered in the middle of a turn. If you're spinning one wheel, you are doing damage to it however, it's common for them to chip the inside tire in a turn if you started off with a decent amount of throttle to begin with. Replacing the bearing on one axle shouldn't have any effect on the SG's performance. Btw, is this a new build or an older unit with some miles on it? Generally, whine on coast down indicates that the pinion is a bit too deep into the ring gear.

thanks Cranky. this is one area of the car that has not been looked at in who knows how long. i just dread the fact if i have to do anything to it. i know what a normal whine sounds like, but this is almost like an electronic noise, and very faint. (radio off). i don't even know how much fluid is in the rear, as it did leak some out before i changed the seals.

Auto Transport Service
Back