• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear window trim removal-'68 Bee

oldbee

Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
Ok gotta remove all chrome before paint job. Rear glass trim has never been removed & looks gorgeous&tight. Yes it's very tight and my removal tool that worked really good on the frt w/shield doesn't like the rear. I have the one with a little ball on the end of a 45* metal arm. Should I get the "y" looking one with finger on each end? I really don't want to screw up the stainless .

I use the "y" looking one and haven't dinged anything yet ! The rear can be a bitch because of all of the rock hard butyl, go slow !

Jeff

The key is "Do not twist the trim!" Are you removing the glass too?

If not removing the glass take your time and do not "attack" the clips...They can break or bend too much...Tape around the inside perimeter of the trim. I also spray some silicone spray as I work around...On my metal trim removal tool I wrap tape around that as well. Then take a semi flexible putty knife(tape around that as well. That is your pry bar but you just pry slightly to get your trim tool in there. A lot of times on the bottom trim once you get the clips off around the curve you can slowly pull it off and do the same on the other side...

The uppers start from the bottom and once you get around the curve slowly pull each side off.

If they don't pull off then you have to work each clip...

Just takes time and a few choice words...

Justin

Thanks guys , another tool to buy tomorrow and boneup on my 'choice' words. They come pretty easy at times!

Thanks guys , another tool to buy tomorrow and boneup on my 'choice' words. They come pretty easy at times!
The tool I use is the metal one on the bottom

41K5w1g39LL.jpg

Well the trim is off, no "choice" words used( but thought about it more than once) the w/shield is a helluva lot easier. The "angle of the dangle" and blasted butyl everywhere is really something else. Thanks guys. Jeff

Well the trim is off, no "choice" words used( but thought about it more than once) the w/shield is a helluva lot easier. The "angle of the dangle" and blasted butyl everywhere is really something else. Thanks guys. Jeff
Pictures or it didn't happen...lol

The tool I use is the metal one on the bottom

View attachment 528387
You totally bummed me out with your pic of the trim removal tools!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been searching threads to find out "how to" remove trim. I was wondering if it could be done without special tools. I guess not.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, thanks for the pic!!

does not matter if I get temporarily bummed, it is better to know before I start than after I have destroyed the trim
again - thanks for the pic

You totally bummed me out with your pic of the trim removal tools!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been searching threads to find out "how to" remove trim. I was wondering if it could be done without special tools. I guess not.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, thanks for the pic!!

does not matter if I get temporarily bummed, it is better to know before I start than after I have destroyed the trim
again - thanks for the pic
Not sure why your bummed it is a single tool...the one in the bottom of that picture but you typically have to buy it as a kit.........It is a very cheap tool.....
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-windshield-door-trim-tool-set-38386.html

Only 7 bucks.......

7 bucks is a cheap investment and to save precious time versus spending lots of time and damaging trim....Which one of those is cheaper?

Not sure why your bummed it is a single tool...the one in the bottom of that picture but you typically have to buy it as a kit.........It is a very cheap tool.....
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-windshield-door-trim-tool-set-38386.html

Only 7 bucks.......

7 bucks is a cheap investment and to save precious time versus spending lots of time and damaging trim....Which one of those is cheaper?
I totally agree, get the tool. Was bummed it required a special tool. I have never removed trim and had absolutely no clue how to do it. When I saw your pic - instantly knew I didn't have what I needed to get the job done. So glad you posted the pic. When I saw ALL them specialty tools - You was able to tell me lots. Very much appreciate your pic - it told me lots.

I totally agree, get the tool. Was bummed it required a special tool. I have never removed trim and had absolutely no clue how to do it. When I saw your pic - instantly knew I didn't have what I needed to get the job done. So glad you posted the pic. When I saw ALL them specialty tools - You was able to tell me lots. Very much appreciate your pic - it told me lots.
That tool is a lifesaver......

Auto Transport Service
Back