• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration issues with period correct mods question

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
my real 63 Dodge 330 maxwedge car has the Bendix fuel pumps and relocated (dual) battery tray as mentioned in Darrell’s book. As I move forward with restoration, do I remove these items to as delivered form?

It also has a driveshaft loop and tow bar brackets, just as it was when retired as a race car back in the day.

that would all depend on what you are after with the restoration..

What type of restoration are you doing? full on factory, Day 2/racer of that era or just the way YOU want it to look (which could include the previous mentioned or something else).

It is up to you.You have the way it came from the factory. Or as what is known as "Day 2". Day 2 cars are hot right now because us that are from that generation 60's-70's are how we had our cars.Not knowing what you plan to do with the car the question asked, Do you plan on selling,keeping, and are you planning on driving it or only for show?
We right now have a day 2 LS6 Chevelle that was last on the road in 1976 with 1068 miles on it.Yes the car has Headers,scattershield,Hurst shifter,traction bars,High rise Edelbrock intake with a 850 double pumper.Should the car be restored as found or as OE Factory.?? For us involved we are split 50/50. All this means is you have a tough call.

P.S. forgot to say,I'm all for the day 2 Hot Rod look.

I have to agree with everyone who has posted - it is all about what you want. Would love to see some pics!

I think it would be cool to keep the era correct aftermarket parts on it. We are going to add a few Day 2 touches to the Charger. Either way will be a neat car, its your call IMO

74119262-F022-47C4-9786-EC37F195090A.jpeg
5E5BA3DD-836B-4EBA-B08B-84101BBCFC0C.jpeg
DF162045-1326-4157-9224-2251E7376D08.jpeg
866E438E-9C8C-42A5-9890-EB344CEE8F11.jpeg
AE696B8C-6D75-4A5B-AF8F-81BADC4CE71F.jpeg
Day 2 it is.

A friend of mine said it best. "I don't build by committee".
Doug

Early "B" 2 door post. It don't get any better !

MAX's original owner raced him when he was new, then pulled the motor and trans and raced it in a wagon body under his employer's banner. Then in '76, was getting divorced and put everything from the race car into MAX. 13.5 motor, reverse shift TF, 4.88 gears and fenderwell headers. Not day 2 but maybe day 4 or 5. As he sits it's all part of his personality.
Copy of Img00002.JPG

That's how I got him from the second owner and that's how he got him from the original owner so......... Besides I never had him out in the cold so I don't know if the fenderwell heater system works!

Actually we were supposed to do the motor but it didn't happen and I picked it up Wednesday night before Carlisle! Um, Krylon Medium Pumpkin Orange is the exact match for MAX WEDGE Orange! MAX WEDGE Orange is not HEMI Orange or '69 375/440 orange! Is that my butt leaning on the fender?

Auto Transport Service
Back