• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadtrip 68 satelite

Roadfury87

Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
So I'm toying with the idea right now of roadtrip from Fairbanks Alaska to the east coast in my 68 Plymouth satellite. I bought it a few years ago it's mildly built for racing. And I'm no mechanic but. I'm trying to figure out what I might need to do to make it obviously more efficient . At low cost . It has a 383 and a ten gallon fuel cell obviously that needs to be swapped out with a larger tank.

Are you going to take the Ferry to Seattle or do the ALCAN highway?

A good all season tires with a good spare
Good HD shocks
All mechanical gone through
A tote full of extra parts such as a distributor, alternator etc.
Antifreeze
Tools. I find a tool bag works better than a tool box
Small lightweight jack
Battery powered impact gun
Cell phone with charger
AA membership

I'm sure others will add to the list

More than likely would take the ferry. Thanks for the reply

A 3.23 rear end will go a long way towards efficiency in a transcon road trip. I get about 16.6 on the highway with it and a slightly leaned out Edelbrock 750 (1411).

A 3.23 rear end will go a long way towards efficiency in a transcon road trip. I get about 16.6 on the highway with it and a slightly leaned out Edelbrock 750 (1411).

or a 2.76 rear end (assuming 8-3/4" rear end).... non-posi I think is better for mountain driving. Maybe a 2 bbl. carb/intake? Tall rear tires? Spread-bore 4 bbl. intake/carb?

Spare belts, a spare ignition box, extra water (or antifreeze) and jumper cables or a portable jump starter pack and maybe even radiator hoses.

Do you know for sure that your cam isn't still running the stock nylon driven gear(sprocket)? I would make sure it has been replaced before any long trek.

Last edited:
Gears. For the highway. Don't get carried away. Shake down real world conditions trial runs are your best best. Worst case scenario traffic conditions. Phone, AAA. I carried hoses and belts for 20 years and never needed them. I have found the GPS works when nothing else does. Take pictures.

Gears. For the highway. Don't get carried away. Shake down real world conditions trial runs are your best best. Worst case scenario traffic conditions. Phone, AAA. I carried hoses and belts for 20 years and never needed them. I have found the GPS works when nothing else does. Take pictures.

Dennis is the man when it comes to road trips in an old car. He drives the **** out of his RT.

Forgot to add, never on the road has another classic car person not stepped up to help. They come out of nearby houses and offer help. Provided there are houses nearby. Travel with the right people too. Darius saved my ... on the road. The locals at the Bar when broke down at the Saltan Sea offered their driveway and tools. Lots of goodwill and good people out there. The old Mopar seems to break the ice. Shakedown shakedown shakedown.

Forgot to add, never on the road has another classic car person not stepped up to help. They come out of nearby houses and offer help. Provided there are houses nearby. Travel with the right people too. Darius saved my ... on the road. The locals at the Bar when broke down at the Saltan Sea offered their driveway and tools. Lots of goodwill and good people out there. The old Mopar seems to break the ice. Shakedown shakedown shakedown.[/QUOTE

Well said

All good suggestions...prepare well and don't be afraid..AAA can DEFINITELY be a lifesaver for anything you might miss... *side note-An old friend drove his orig.68 hemi 'runner out here to cali years ago from the east coast...granted gas was much cheaper at the time, but in his only-a-salty-old-nam-vet way he always told me 'these damn things were built to be driven!' (original owner by the way) this is the only pic I have of it...
68silverrr.jpg

There are a few stories on the Ford Barn website about people driving their 1940 and older Fords on LONG trips. Like from Utah to Alaska with just a Chihuahua for company. They did the trip without much incident. A lot of camping because of motels or campsites that wouldn't take pets!

I wanna take a roadtrip that sounds like fun. In the old days I'd carry tools and whatever small spare parts I had laying around. Sometimes I'd go 1200 miles without a problem. If it broke, something always went wrong I didn't have on hand anyway. Half the fun is trying to find parts and working in a parking lot.

Auto Transport Service
Back