• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker arms

bobtile

Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
I know that this has probably been beaten to death, but Im looking for the newest possible info.
I have crane gold rockers on my motor right now. They are old. Im not putting them back on because im worried about fatigue.
I dont think I can afford jessel or td's.
What's next in line.
I like the harland sharpe amd hughes.
What are your thoughts on roller bearing vs. bushed or aluminum?
Cam is going to be solid roller. Probably .650 lift. Heads are Indy ez cnc295. I have the hughes on the other 440 but that has a hydraulic roller. Pretty happy with them. Geometry was great with them.
I was a little worried about the rollers in the Harlands. If they fail, little bits everywhere.
Thoughts?

Personally i like Harland's they are high in quality so im not worried about the bearing, im running these in my 500CI build with Victor Heads, But i also like Hughes and they cost less.

Personally i like Harland's they are high in quality so im not worried about the bearing, im running these in my 500CI build with Victor Heads, But i also like Hughes and they cost less.
How long have you been running them? What kind of spring pressure? Ill be happy getting 3 seasons out of whatever i wind up with.

If I were buying brand new right now it would definitely be Hughes.
I have 440 Source complete setup now...shafts, rockers, clamps, etc. and they have about 100 runs on them this last summer and they have been absolutely rock solid. Valve Lash settings have stayed spot on everytime I checked them.
I would only say Hughes because I might be less "worried" about anything breaking although the 440 Source setup has proven just fine.

I use Comp Magnums
3 years 3,600 miles hyd roller at 600 lift, no ware, set and stay. 430lbs open

Bob, I really like the Hughs rockers and have 3 years of running the piss out of them. I've seen so much carnage with rockers and lifters/pushrods over the years of friends as well as myself that it was time for me to step back to more simplicity and kind of a common sense approach although I would also try T&D and Jessel if I had a little more cash. Good luck.

I'd go with the Hughes 15103

I have a motor with the comps and one with the harlands and if I had it to do all over they would all have Hughes on them

Harland's are great rockers, I've seen them live through **** that would kill a normal rocker. They'll live for years on a .650 solid roller.

I'd go with the Hughes 15103

I have a motor with the comps and one with the harlands and if I had it to do all over they would all have Hughes on them
Harland's are great rockers, I've seen them live through **** that would kill a normal rocker. They'll live for years on a .650 solid roller.
I have TrickFlow 240s on my "to do" list. Same ? as the OP. Harland Sharps have a good rep from what I have read. Hughes speaks highly of their product, which is to be expected. Occasional track days, future swap over to a 6xx HP and TQ stroker, DEFINITELY going to cruise for up to 4 hours straight in stop and go traffic. I don't want to ever have to replace them (unless something breaks) Same recommendations? Or??

Harland Sharp. Have been using them for 12 years. Few years ago couple of adjuster failures but other than that great.
And you know I use my equipment. Except when I race you and lose...

I have TrickFlow 240s on my "to do" list. Same ? as the OP. Harland Sharps have a good rep from what I have read. Hughes speaks highly of their product, which is to be expected. Occasional track days, future swap over to a 6xx HP and TQ stroker, DEFINITELY going to cruise for up to 4 hours straight in stop and go traffic. I don't want to ever have to replace them (unless something breaks) Same recommendations? Or??

I found Hughes to be his own biggest proponent. The few things I've bought from him I was not all that impressed. After talking with him in person one time, his arrogance really rubbed me the wrong way. That's not to say there's anything wrong with his rockers, I just have no experience with them. I however have ran Harland's on my own as well as other people's engines including Chevys and fords. I'd buy and run them on a mopar any day. I have a set of t&d's on a .650 solid roller on my dads 499 and one of the t&d shafts broke. Sometimes **** just happens. I plan to convert my 511 over to Harland's at some point. I figure the Indy rockers are probably on borrowed time.

from my experience harland sharp would be at the top of the list. the comp cams are strong but heavy. i have no experience with hughs but wonder how they could be better than cranes,.....both are the same concept,.....?

I've ran either Crane Super Gold, multiple seasons usually
{some were bronze bushed machined & installed, with heavier valve springs,
albeit not sure that was even necessary}
Only failures I've ever had with them were the adjuster screws PERIOD
they had a bad batch a few years ago {like 8 years ago}

or Harland Sharpe's on most all my Mopar Wedge engines

I found not noticeable advantage with Harlan Sharpe's
for nearly double the price, albeit the cost rarely discourages me
when buying valve-train components...

Only valve-train failures I've ever experienced in one of my race engines
was with using a Hughe's cam-shaft, "allegedly" they claimed "bad batch",
it was quite a while back now too, BUT;
really arrogant attitude when I called & tried to talk to them,
they blamed me, {I've never had any other camshaft failures ever with any other company's
doing the same things/procedures, oils assoc. parts etc., I will not use them any longer
}
Their mantra "it was all my fault" etc., no refund {I didn't even ask yet}
or no discount or return it & we'll check it out etc.
for a new cam & IMO extremely poor customer service back then too,
I've never used their rockers...

Anyway good luck Bobby
Crane use to do a rebuild service on their rockers too...

I have them {Super Gold 1.6:1 & their shafts, Smith Bros. Pushrods}
in my current full roller {Custom ground Crane Camshaft} engine in my RR

There are some fitment issues with really large diameter valve springs
with both Crane & HS's, in my experience anyway...

I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, BUT;
I run the Harland Sharpe's 1.7:1 full rollers/hydr. roller cam
in my 99 Dakota 4x4 5.2ltr with a bunch of bolt on stuff DD
I have nearly 50k miles on them...

Last edited:
Harland Sharp. Have been using them for 12 years. Few years ago couple of adjuster failures but other than that great.
And you know I use my equipment. Except when I race you and lose...
Yes, you baby your equipment when we race. I thank you for that.

20161130_194556.png

from my experience harland sharp would be at the top of the list. the comp cams are strong but heavy. i have no experience with hughs but wonder how they could be better than cranes,.....both are the same concept,.....?
The only difference i can see between crane gold and hughes is that the cranes had a bronze bushing and hughes is aluminum. I have heard stories of cranes breaking. Haven't heard that of the hughes.

I've ran either Crane Super Gold, multiple seasons usually
{some were bronze bushed, with heavier valve springs, albeit not sure that was even necessary}
Only failures I've ever had with them were the adjuster screws PERIOD
they had a bad batch a few years ago {like 8 years ago}

or Harland Sharpe's on most all my Mopar Wedge engines
I guess the question would be would you rather have rollers on a shaft mount rocker or a bushing.
To me, it would seem that a few rollers take the brunt of the punishment. Bushed seem to have the force distributed evenly?
The other thing is that if a rocker breaks, a bushed one doesn't scatter rollers through your motor.

I guess the question would be would you rather have rollers on a shaft mount rocker or a bushing.
To me, it would seem that a few rollers take the brunt of the punishment. Bushed seem to have the force distributed evenly?
The other thing is that if a rocker breaks, a bushed one doesn't scatter rollers through your motor.
I don't think it makes a big difference, rollers on the trunnions or not
IMO on a post style rocker {like a Magnum or SBC etc.} yes I'd run full roller trunnions
I just preferred the Cranes simplicity, less parts to fail too, less to worry about
they've always been good to me, on a stock-ish type {not some fancy offsets etc} valve-train configuration...
{some heads &/or larger valve springs diam. or even retainer designs, will require high dollar rockers, sometime that's unavoidable}
I only ran the bushed rockers on pretty aggressive camshafts {over 0.750" gross lift}
or with a heavy rated valve springs too
{well over 500#'s+ VS ratings & over an inch before coil bind},
on a shaft style roller tip rocker arm, it worked well for me...

I don't try to over complicate my builds,
I stick with what has worked in the past...

Good luck

I do like the looks of the T&D 's, but never used any yet....

Last edited:
The only difference i can see between crane gold and hughes is that the cranes had a bronze bushing and hughes is aluminum. I have heard stories of cranes breaking. Haven't heard that of the hughes.
cranes aren't bushed. suppose someone could bush them. never broke a crane but have seen indy's break. i think both are/were made by Dove.

Auto Transport Service
Back