• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roller cam degreeing

Garys1969RR

Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Well I just degreed in my first roller cam! What a job! It Took so long because 1) I didn't pull all the spark plugs, making the motor hard to turn over. 2)Never done this before 3) Engine is in the car. First time I checked it, it came out to 110 ICL, supposed to be at 106. I had set the adj timing chain in the straight up position. 0 mark. I called the tech line, and he said to advance the cam 4 degrees. So I set it at the ^ triangle mark on the cam sprocket, and now it shows right at 105 degrees ICL So I am 1 degree off. Not going to worry about that. It at first seemed odd that the crank is retarded 4 degrees to bring it into spec, but that's the same as advancing the cam. Then looking at the cam card, it says when it's at 106 ICL, the cam will be 4 degrees advanced! I guess I thought the advance was ground into the cam. So it sounds easy on paper, but kinda tricky if you have never done it. So like they say, always degree in your cam!

I finally pulled all the plugs but 1, (that you have to pull the header first) and that made the whole process so much easier!

I never degreed a cam with plugs in, that must have sucked, honestly I did it ONCE in the car with the radiator and front bumpers grill all off the car, THAT SUCKED.. But I pulled the plugs, lol..

105* is 5* advanced. The 1* variance will make no difference compared to 106*. You might consider pulling the plugs when lashing valves too.

Auto Transport Service
Back