• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rotisserie Question

SoCal440GTX

Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone recognize who may have manufactured this rotisserie? I bought it used but I suspect I did not receive all of the pieces. I think there should be 2 long tubes that run from front to back at the bottom of each end. It came with 2 small tubes but I think they are only for storage. I can't see this being rigid enough to support the car without the bottoms being tied together.

2012-12-16 09.46.55.jpg
2012-12-16 09.47.08.jpg
2012-12-16 09.47.23.jpg
20170201_172127.jpg

Most of the rotisseries I see are home made, I made one years back that you would swear I bought, just steel and spray paint.

When you don't have the counter leg in the center with a caster on it you need them to be connected to each other. I wouldn't worry about finding the original manufacturer because most likely they aren't in business anymore.

All you need to do it measure the hole and order the square stock from a local steel yard, I would imagine even if it was a pro produced unit and the company was still in business, the shipping alone on them pieces would be costly. Measure your car and head on over to your local steel house. I would bring them little tubes with you to match up for fit. While your there grab the stock you will need to mount your body.

upload_2017-2-15_5-57-46.png

That type you have would need tubing to connect the front and rear parts. The type I have looks more like a tricycle with a third leg pointing towards the center of the vehicle. It doesn't necessarily need a connector. Square tubing isn't all that expensive, any metal supply shop would be able to fix you up.

I am debating either connecting the 2 ends per the above picture or building wheel extensions similar to this...
upload_2017-2-15_12-35-46.jpeg

The existing receivers are for 2" tubes. That seems like they would sag. They would be about 20' long.

I am also considering welding a third larger receiver in the center and doing something similar to this...
Car-Rotisserie-02.jpg

I just have never had a car on one of these so I am not familiar with how rigid it needs to be.

Take some advice from me, I have mounted so many cars on spinners I couldn't begin to list them, everything from a full frame caddy on a custom rig, to pickup truck bodies only, and I have 2 b-bodies upside down right now!!!

Do not over think this, just go to a steel house and buy medium wall square steel tubing.

What I would do personally is this,
go to home depot, grab 4 10 foot lengths of 1 1/2" black iron tubing, that has a od of 1.90", and 2 couplings.
Make them into 2 20's, lift the car up to put it on the rotor, fit the tubes in the holes and drill right through them, put some nuts and bolts through the square receiver and the pipe on all 4 connections.

That's it, it wont go anywhere, if you are worried about it sagging, then grab some exhaust clamps and clamp a couple casters to the middle of the pipe. But I don't see it happening.

That connector doesn't hold any weight it keeps the 2 ends from closing in or opening up depending on your lift points.

I guarantee the tubing will work.

B-bodies are easy to mount, 2 square plates in the back on the bumper mounts (right on the body), and two pieces of steel in the front that run along the sides where the front bumper bolts mount.

I seen a homemade twirler, with chains on the left and right keeping the rig from opening and a 1" pipe down the center to keep it from closing that was just stuck in there held by the chains keeping it tightly closed to the pipe... They had a chevelle on it, moving it over a crushed stone driveway, up a slight incline pulling it with a zero turn cub cadet lawn mower!!!!

So don't over think it, just go grab some pipe or square tubing (its hard to move 20 foot lengths of anything, I will guarantee if that's not home made the old rods were multiple telescopic pieces.

I wouldn't go redesigning the unit and I have both of mine with center legs, I want to say that was to cut costs, because the 2 legs would be a lot stronger IMO.

Good luck, take it or leave it that's my opinion and what I would do, I always take the advice of the guy who has been there.

Take some advice from me, I have mounted so many cars on spinners I couldn't begin to list them, everything from a full frame caddy on a custom rig, to pickup truck bodies only, and I have 2 b-bodies upside down right now!!!

Do not over think this, just go to a steel house and buy medium wall square steel tubing.

What I would do personally is this,
go to home depot, grab 4 10 foot lengths of 1 1/2" black iron tubing, that has a od of 1.90", and 2 couplings.
Make them into 2 20's, lift the car up to put it on the rotor, fit the tubes in the holes and drill right through them, put some nuts and bolts through the square receiver and the pipe on all 4 connections.

That's it, it wont go anywhere, if you are worried about it sagging, then grab some exhaust clamps and clamp a couple casters to the middle of the pipe. But I don't see it happening.

That connector doesn't hold any weight it keeps the 2 ends from closing in or opening up depending on your lift points.

I guarantee the tubing will work.

B-bodies are easy to mount, 2 square plates in the back on the bumper mounts (right on the body), and two pieces of steel in the front that run along the sides where the front bumper bolts mount.

I seen a homemade twirler, with chains on the left and right keeping the rig from opening and a 1" pipe down the center to keep it from closing that was just stuck in there held by the chains keeping it tightly closed to the pipe... They had a chevelle on it, moving it over a crushed stone driveway, up a slight incline pulling it with a zero turn cub cadet lawn mower!!!!

So don't over think it, just go grab some pipe or square tubing (its hard to move 20 foot lengths of anything, I will guarantee if that's not home made the old rods were multiple telescopic pieces.

I wouldn't go redesigning the unit and I have both of mine with center legs, I want to say that was to cut costs, because the 2 legs would be a lot stronger IMO.

Good luck, take it or leave it that's my opinion and what I would do, I always take the advice of the guy who has been there.

Thanks Superb, for taking the time to write your advice. I really appreciate it. I think I will do just as you say.

That's your best bet, I wouldn't reengineer the wheel on this one. If you need pictures of mounting points like I said I have two spinning right now..

That's your best bet, I wouldn't reengineer the wheel on this one. If you need pictures of mounting points like I said I have two spinning right now..

Not necessary but what would help me is to know about where to set the pivot point in relation to the car. I have no idea where the center of gravity of the shell will be.
Thanks.

I line the bumper up with the center, it takes very little effort to get it from 3 to 6 o clock.

I did something very similar to the pic of the red rotisserie. It is probably overkill but it works great on my Charger.

As to CoG and spinning, I am very close but ideally the car should be moved up in relation to the rotisserie another 2" to get it just perfect.

Go to local steel place grab two lengths that will fit in the rotisserie and one length that will fit over the ones going in the rotisserie. Slide them together and to size for your project. Most have a nut welded on for a bolt to be used to stop the tubes from sliding. I just started tack welding mine so it's nice and rigid with no flex. Takes a few seconds with a grinder to break them loose and grind them off. Brand not important. Any steel place should have the stock laying around. Also, I make my own mounting brackets by just having 1/4" plate cut and then welding them up.

I can send you pics if you need them. I have a rotisserie out in the garage. I can toss it together if it helps!

Auto Transport Service
Back