• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sea container shop walls

BarnFind71RR

Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
I saw a garage/shop in Alaska that used sea containers for two walls. I'm now considering building something similar. My thought is to put two 40-foot containers on the edges of a 40x40 foot concrete pad. I'm also considering putting the containers on the ground and pouring the pad only in between them. That would provide and insane amount of storage and I could add a roof and enclose it front and back.
Has anyone here done this? Pros and cons?

You need the containers at least up on 8x8 timbers to keep air underneath if not on the pad, the floors are wood and moisture becomes an issue. I have 3 x 40's.. 2 ventilate nice and stay dry, but one is always dripping (condensation) from the ceiling and musty that I need to add some vent holes to or get further up off the ground.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/fod/d/best-price-contianers-storage-box-connex/6811056588.ht
00A0A_73qOocDJv22_600x450.jpg
ml
00U0U_aBpB2QfWpq3_600x450.jpg

I've seen these put together in many ways and built to make super nice shops with concrete floors and heating it is up to you how you do it :thumbsup::usflag:

Up here and in Alaska we use them for everything. A couple of tips from someone who actually uses them and doesn’t just google them:
-You need to ventilate them. Typically we use those aluminum whirlybirds that you see on house roofs. One per twenty foot container, two per forty foot. If you can add a small rodent proof opening somewhere down near the floor it’ll help move air through. You’ll thank me for this. In times of high humidity and sudden temperature change like the sun going down in the evening you will get water actually running down the walls. Every day, day after day.
- keep them up off the ground even a little bit so air can circulate and keep the floor dry or you’ll rot the floor out. Most of the cheap ones for sale up here have bad floors.

will try and go to where I use to work and they have used thes for over 45 years and swear by them

have a friend that moved out west ,when he built his shop the added them under his building for a shooting range and other areas of storage below his main shop

Just check local bylaws before you make too many plans. They're being banned in many urban areas because in their natural state they are an eyesore.

They started banning them in my area here in Fl.

Auto Transport Service
Back