• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sebring vs Roadrunner Huge Value Difference!

I cringe ever time someone finds an untouched, or "survivor" Coronet, Charger or Satellite and HAS to make it a tribute, clone, wanna be Super Bee, R\T or RR.

Yep. It lasted this long and other people took care of it just waiting for you to make it "yours".

that shows you the added value of a car being a real bee or runner.
it costs the same coin to build a car
i've said it before
i think most clone cars are clown cars and they miss the mark by a mile.
if i can tell what it is without having to look at the vin number
you built a clown car or a car that is confused and searching for a identity..
at that point you were better off leaving it alone in the first place..

I cringe ever time someone finds an untouched, or "survivor" Coronet, Charger or Satellite and HAS to make it a tribute, clone, wanna be Super Bee, R\T or RR.

Yep. It lasted this long and other people took care of it just waiting for you to make it "yours".

I disagree a little bit. The way some of us look at it (and my parents purchased a new RR in 1971) is that the Road Runner is a modified Satellite, not the other way around. So in my opinion, anyone upgrading a Satellite is actually only doing the same thing the factory was doing. Where did the Road Runner originate from in 1968--well, they took a Satellite which had been born long before, and added/changed a few things. So I forgive myself and anyone else who wants to take a Satellite and fix it up a little more. If it looks like a Road Runner afterward, well that is what every Road Runner is really-a Satellite with one purple horn instead of two black horns (LOL).

I will not ever call my 1972 Satellite a Road Runner, but i did install a 1972 Road Runner grille (it fits just the same) because I like it better. And as a kid driving my parents "real" RR to high school for two years, I thought the black reflective strobe stripe was really cool, now for some reason i think my Satellite Sebring Plus looks smoother and sexier without it and without the Road Runner cartoon character scattered about. But don't get me wrong, I love both my "kids" the same.

The PO removed all the SSP badging on my '72, so the only model identifier right now is the personalized license plate (see foto)

1969 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Road Test Magazine Car of the Year: Plymouth Satellite ("baby brother" RR included)

DSC00609.JPG DSC00584.JPG 1971.jpg DSC00807.JPG

Last edited:
your car is a different animal per say
you took a car with a open canvas and made it into what you wanted.
i like it.
i always dig a well done custom car.
that is what hot rodding is all about.
you didn't take a nice mint lo mi orig car to do it with as many do
then they only do it halfway and then call it something else..
i wish i had a dime every time i have seen it.
i don't even mind a well done clone
but don't be calling it/labeling it something else
when you still have a standard cluster and rocker moldings still on the car...

Yes, the market values between the Road Runner and Satellite are a very strange phenomenon. The Satellite was considered a more premium model when new. Their DNA is identical.

I think paying so much more for a Road Runner when you can purchase the same vehicle or a better equipped vehicle for half the price is something akin to buying a more expensive name brand corn flake cereal in place of the generic brand after already finding out they come from the same place. People have their reasons, of course, and we are fortunate to have that choice to purchase a Satellite or pay a little more (or a lot more) for the Road Runner.

the road runner will always carry a extra intrinsic value.
it is a part of Americana and a icon in history for the times.
any car that carries its badge and has the vin will always command a premium for those reasons.
that is just how it is.
they never had a satellite cartoon,so it doesn't attract as a wide of a audience
as a runner will.

Maybe Plymouth Satellite owners can catch up to the Road Runner values if they (we) promote this Satellite cartoon! LOL

I disagree a little bit. The way some of us look at it (and my parents purchased a new RR in 1971) is that the Road Runner is a modified Satellite, not the other way around. So in my opinion, anyone upgrading a Satellite is actually only doing the same thing the factory was doing. Where did the Road Runner originate from in 1968--well, they took a Satellite which had been born long before, and added/changed a few things. So I forgive myself and anyone else who wants to take a Satellite and fix it up a little more. If it looks like a Road Runner afterward, well that is what every Road Runner is really-a Satellite with one purple horn instead of two black horns (LOL).

I will not ever call my 1972 Satellite a Road Runner, but i did install a 1972 Road Runner grille (it fits just the same) because I like it better. And as a kid driving my parents "real" RR to high school for two years, I thought the black reflective strobe stripe was really cool, now for some reason i think my Satellite Sebring Plus looks smoother and sexier without it and without the Road Runner cartoon character scattered about. But don't get me wrong, I love both my "kids" the same.

"Never underestimate a human beings ability to rationalize and justify"- Jason Lewis, radio talk show host.

Nope sorry. Two different models based on the same platform.

I agree with Flypaper. No matter how you gussie it up, the "M" in RM will always command a higher price because of the way it was first made. I have more respect for a well done custom than some half *** attempt decal car.

your car is a different animal per say
you took a car with a open canvas and made it into what you wanted.
i like it.
i always dig a well done custom car.
that is what hot rodding is all about.
you didn't take a nice mint lo mi orig car to do it with as many do
then they only do it halfway and then call it something else..
i wish i had a dime every time i have seen it.
i don't even mind a well done clone
but don't be calling it/labeling it something else
when you still have a standard cluster and rocker moldings still on the car...
Thanks. I'm right there.
My Charger R/T SE was what it was. My '72 Satellite was hotrodded from a 318/904/7 1/4 rear to a 440/727/8 3/4. Never badged a RR or GTX cuz it wasn't one.
My '73 SSP needs motivation, so it'll get a 360 stroker and 727 in place of the 318/904 combo. But it isn't a RR, nor will it be.
Whatever...

I think the price of quality original cars is only going up and if the economy
gets better it will climb even much higher.
the thing is there might be a lot of cars out there for sale and such
but the quality original ones are getting fewer and further between.
that is what real collectors will step up and pay for

most that is out there is cobbed up junk and that is the stuff
that will never get above a certian level.
ie 318 car with a twin turbo 440 and such.
What we've been seeing since the start of the gold rush is buyers are no longer snapping up just any car. It used to be that any Superbird was going to go for a minimum of $200k. Now if a 440 bird breaks $80k it's news. E-bodies used to be a license to print money, now it needs to be a Hemi, all original, and low miles to get the big bucks. Yes, the cream of the crop cars are going up slightly, but the more run-of-the-mill cars aren't because there are just too many of them to support the seller market.

What we've been seeing since the start of the gold rush is buyers are no longer snapping up just any car. It used to be that any Superbird was going to go for a minimum of $200k. Now if a 440 bird breaks $80k it's news. E-bodies used to be a license to print money, now it needs to be a Hemi, all original, and low miles to get the big bucks. Yes, the cream of the crop cars are going up slightly, but the more run-of-the-mill cars aren't because there are just too many of them to support the seller market.

You don't think a 383 roadrunner is the same In the same league as a Duesenberg? And come on, a 318 2bbl satellite is a muscle car just like v code Gtx. There all the same pedegree!! Lmfoa

The really rare cars will always retain some value, m codes, v codes, hemi cars. I think the rest are on borrowed time. If I had 60g sitting in my pocket right now I'd go buy a nice used hellcat over some clapped out old muscle car that is a garage ornament and that the EPA would love to crush if given a chance.

"Offered" and "here's a check" are two different things. When you get a check, my statement will be false.

I've been offered a left testicle for mine. I turned it down. I have one already.
Lol, well I guess I'll never know and honestly don't care.

It might make you feel better knowing I intentionally looked for a basket case Charger for my custom and didn't badge it as anything other than a Charger:thumbsup:.

This post hits home in some ways and is so off base in others. NADA values are useless for one, 440-6 comparison is bogus and then the term restoration is thrown around when your looking at cars that aren't "restored" they are modified/clones.
I own a 72 Satellite Sebring Plus 400 "P code" that I'm sure would fit all your needs but you'd have to pay for it. Is a Road Runner worth more on paper? Absolutely but you have to fall for a car not an emblem IMHO. Good Luck in your search
Ron

IMG_1577 (Large).JPG IMG_1574 (Large).JPG

I own a 72 Satellite Sebring Plus 400 "P code" that I'm sure would fit all your needs but you'd have to pay for it.....

Knowing that it was yours and you did the work, it would be worth ever penny.

Knowing that it was yours and you did the work, it would be worth ever penny.

Doug that's very nice of you to say, we haven't spoke in a while hope all is good with you!!!
Ron

Who buys a car for an investment anyway? If you are going to drive it its a money pit. It is only original once. If both are restored exactly the same and the only difference is the vin number well I wouldn't pay double to have an M in the vin instead of an H. I'd take the Satty with RR badging that has all original panels and floors any day over the "real" AMD runner that somebody has cut and welded on so much you cant find a "real" RR part on anyway.

Who buys a car for an investment anyway? If you are going to drive it its a money pit. It is only original once. If both are restored exactly the same and the only difference is the vin number well I wouldn't pay double to have an M in the vin instead of an H. I'd take the Satty with RR badging that has all original panels and floors any day over the "real" AMD runner that somebody has cut and welded on so much you cant find a "real" RR part on anyway.

That's cool but you will still own a Satellite with fake badging. There is value to a real RM.

Auto Transport Service
Back