• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short Road Trips - Spare Parts Suggestions?

Charger21

Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
I am looking to start driving my 1973 400 4-barrel Charger more now that so am at a place in life where I can:thumbsup:. I have done a fair amount of work on the car over the last couple of years but it is mostly original. I feel it is generally safe (brakes done, new steering components, new shocks, battery, etc.) and it has very rarely ever stranded me (only once recently when starter went out) but with me wanting to take it on a few short (100 mile) day trips I want to be as prepared as I can. I have driven it a number of times this season for 10-15 minutes at a time and it runs well and runs cool.

I have some smaller spare parts along with extra fluids in my trunk. I am looking for any suggestions on tools and or parts to carry along with me in case so have a failure on the road and it is something I could take care of. Obviously the parts must reasonably small to be carried in the trunk. For example I have an extra ballast resistor, fuses and fuse puller, and extra ignition box.

Thoughts?

Electrical tape, tip ties, ignition box, couple of each screwdrivers (flat and phillips), wire cutters, crimpers, assortment of electrical connectors and wire, fuses, ballast resistor, couple plugs (parts stores rarely stock anything anymore) cap, rotor, coil (if ya have a spare layin around), Fuel hose, clamps, Maybe a small quarter inch drive set, Water/Coolant, Oil, hmmmmm not that I have done this type of thing before. Many trips to Carlisle and back in July from my house which is 5 hours or so. Also make sure your spare tire has air in it and isn't flat before ya start off. I have a small little jack I take as well incase of a flat as well as my jimmy bar I made to remove the dog dish hubcaps without chewing the hell out of them.
:lol::lol::lol:

Aside from the regular stuff, oil, trans fluid, I keep a tool box with wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, and socketset, battery terminal cleaner and jumper cables. In addition, I have spare fuses, ECU, voltage regulator, coil, ballast resistor, starter relay, spark plugs, fan belt for power steering and one for the water pump/alternator. It all fits nicely in a laundry basket on the side of the trunk secured with bungee chords. I have a smaller basket with my car show detail stuff that attaches to the other basket when I go to car shows.

All the common hand tools,extra throttle return spring,fusible link, jumper cables, flashlight, can of fix a flat, in case the spare needs air or if I'm in a bad spot where changing the tire would be dangerous. qt.of oil, pint of break fluid, drinking water.and most importantly good tow insurance.
Got stuck on a causeway bridge at dusk, the fusible link blew in mt GTX because one of the diodes in the back of the alternator feel into the case and popped the fusible link. There I was up against the wall,no where to pull off, cars flying by at 70+ mph, 100 'over the water I couldn't get out of the car it was too dangerous. white concrete bridge, white car at twilight with zero electrical power .no flashes nothing.the Odd's where stacking up against me quickly.
The only thing that saved my *** was my cell phone and a Good Samaritan who pulled up behind me and put his flashers on stayed till the police and the tow truck arrived.
Before he got there I remember two times seeing in the rear view mirror and hearing cars locking the breaks and swerving around me at the last second.
That Good Samaritan saved my life and my car It was just a mater of time before I got plowed, I have no doubt. There wasn't a tool in my bag that would have helped me that evening. not in that situation. The tow bill was 241.00 bucks for a 15 mile tow and Grundy paid it no questions asked. Sorry for the ramble....peace

Last edited:
Bring some rubbers. You may meet some adventurous woman while you are out and about.

You might want to toss an extra alternator belt, radiator hose and thermostat too. You never know when that stuff will go and they’re all cheap insurance against an overheating situation.

Phone. AAA+. Extinguisher(s). I carried hoses and belts for 25 years til they dried out.

I carry all of the above plus a spare accelerator cable. Learned that from a friend.

Maybe some Astroglide or KY in case the lady needs a little help.

If I have to bring the garage full of parts and tools with me might as well stay home.
Bumper jack, tire iron, spair tire and shop towels for those gas stations to cheap to furnish them.

Murphy's Law, No matter what you have,,You won't have what you need !

Auto Transport Service
Back