• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show car vs Muscle Ratrod……..

It's your car, do what you want. My '68 GTX is a factory hemi car that had been basically abondoned for 30 years. I could have investing alot of $ and spent 5+ years restoring it. I chose to rebuild the suspension and drive train and install my 472 hemi. I drive the crap out of it HARD and have had more fun with this car since it was finished last summer than probably any car since my first six barrel 'Runner in high school 35 years ago. Also it drives the inspection paint mark, date coded plug wire guys that have critique everybody else's cars nuts. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and respect the restored to original cars, they just aren't my thing to own. My vote: get it on the road, have fun and don't worry about a little rock chip or two.
That's exactly what I want to do to mine. It was kinda already there when I tore it apart but the wife wants a 'nice' looking car and not a bruiser. I even want to drop in a V8 into my 95 Dakota with peeling paint and not fix the dents etc....

I'm not a fan of the 'rat rod' term either. I remember in the late 50's when guys drove the best 'hot rod' that they could afford. The term rat rod now applies to them but in reality, they were hot rodders and their cars were hot rods. Say "I like your rat rod" to one of them back then and look out....

The term "rat rod" didn't exist then

Thats awesome..
There is a guy in the worcester mass area (oxford I think) and he has a 64 hemi polara, the outside is similar to yours condition wise and the interior is clean but original for the most part, he had any tears fixed but no resto.. The best part is when he opened the hood, the car was all white and patina, but under the hood was fresh white paint, with the cleanest hemi you ever seen, lol.. It was unexpected, it had the hemi hood on it and the car was relatively rust free, just a bit of surface here and there but the underneath and the engine compartment looked spanking new...

My interior is all original and mint, as far as I'm concerned. Just one crack in the steering wheel and one small hole in the driver's seat from a screwdriver in the back pocket. The dash and instrument panel look like the day it rolled out of the factory. The outer body rust is from snow pushed up to the car at some point by snowplows with good old WI road salt in it. But the underside of the car is rust free and solid. It must not have been driven in the winters, or if so, not much. Would have been a handful to negotiate that beast in the snow, anyway! One of my favorite features of the car is the look of the valve covers with no paint left on them.
Is that '64 Polara an original Hemi car? If so, that's one valuable ride!

20160821_151056.jpg
20160821_151513.jpg

Last edited:
I fell into a car that could be fully restored or left alone. At first I thought it was too rusty. But after looking at it and realizing what a rarity I found - an unmolested original car, I found a way to buy it. While the outer body has a lot of rust, it's extremely solid just as it is - all solid underneath and runs like a beast. I'm not touching it and leaving it as is. I plan to keep driving it as often as I can and am not worried about adding more miles to the low original 57,000 that are on it. This thing is just a blast to drive and the reactions from car guys who understand it is priceless when they realize what it is. ]
That's what I'm fkn Talkin bout right there!!!!!!

Just a thought, if it really is 'too good to rat' and 'deserves to be numbers built', sell it and buy one that drives and you can enjoy. Or find a guy with a driving 'whatever' charger and work out a trade, with cash if needed. Win-win.

Personally, mine is half way. Built to drive, but built as nice as my time and funds would allow. Having said that, I am always on the look out for some ratty muscle. I was eyeing off a 72 Rancharo the other day... it could carry parts for my Mopar! ;)
Could lso implant some mopar parts just to make it interesting.

my brothers "Sherry" was freshened up last year........and now will he drive this nut & bolt complete restoration?.....it will be better than new....he says he will drive it....here it is B/4 pic too...
sherry.jpg
sherry.jpg

They're made to be driven. I drive the hemi outta my restored hemi-car.

Im in the process of doing a charger myself. Its been at the paint shop about 8 months. Its (the paint job)going to cost me more than any car ive ever had. When its done it will be extremely nice but honestly I almost regret starting the project. Im more of a rough around the edges drive the living **** out of it kind of guy.

It's "show car or no car" for me. I just try not to look down my nose at other peoples junk. LOL
IMG_1043.JPG

Last edited:
I did a full rotisserie restoration on my numbers matching Limelight 383 Air Grabber Road Runner. When I was done, it was as nice underneath as it was everywhere else. About 2 weeks after I finished it, I drove it across the country - put 5,800 miles on it. The underside is now dirty, but it's the best thing I ever did. It wears the stone chips proudly!

Like others, I am not against those who want a show car, but for me, the real pleasure is driving them. I say make is presentable and "decent", like a #3 car, and then drive and enjoy it!

Hawk
B00_57.JPG
B00_60.JPG
D12_DSC_0107.JPG
D22_DSC_0027.JPG
D26_DSC_0178.JPG

PS. This is Dennis' car - we met outside of Yosemite and had a blast DRIVING these bad boys home!

I'm a fan of them being a little rough and driven. My '66 is mechanically sound and the interior is nice. No worries about chips, rain, bird poop. Actually I do worry about the rain, wiper pivots...LOL

charder1.jpg

I'd love to find something with a nice dry body and honest patina like a few cars shown here. My Belvedere is shiny and straight and I do drive it but worry about gravel on the roads come spring and where I park it etc etc. Some days it'd be nice to not worry and enjoy the car. If anyone watches Roadkill and Roadkill Garage more specifically he picked up a 71' Road Runner that follows along this thread. Nice and reliable but a daily driver rain or shine.

love all the info and feedback here, makes the decision easier……let the next guy worry about it!!

Auto Transport Service
Back