• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Side-tracked - Not a shop but well needed firewood storage . . .

This is the 10lb Maul I've been using for 20+ years. I've never sharpened it, it either bounces off or follows right through. Nothing I hate worse than a stuck axe!
View attachment 717686

I'd of bought a 10 pounder if they had one . . . but 8 seems to be the norm . . . ( or I didn't look hard enough ) . . . .
Agreed - never sharpened it - it's not an ax - it's meant to provide force to split the wood ( not cut it )
Learned that when I use to use an ax, and was introduced to the "maul" . . . great tool ! ! !

On the big round one, it'll bounce off 3, 4, 5, 6 times and you can hear the difference in the hit - you'll know when the next one will bury into the wood and split it . . .

Walked back across the street to tear into the supply of logs - and stock up on firewood . . .

Made some great progress today . . .

sm_firewoodstorage44.jpg

These stumps have another branch attachment - which makes the wood grain "interesting" and difficult to split in areas . . .
( the attachment is on the far side of the log in the picture above )

Boy does this thing hold a LOT of wood - glad that I added the 5th row to this structure too. Been splitting up the wood, from the neighbor across the street, who lost the trees and stacking it up in this structure for next year - let all this wood season for burning next year. Got 3 of the 4 rows stacked pretty high - and working on filling up the last row . . .

sm_firewoodstorage45.jpg

Looks like I can top the other 3 rows off a little more too from this picture . . . oh boy, more wood to split . . .

Walked out to the wood storage area and discovered this . . .

sm_woodfall-1.jpg

Guess that I did not have it stacked quite right . . . lots of uneven pieces too . . . so it had to get re-stacked . . .

Oh well . . . .

Had my learning curve many years ago on how to stack uneven wood but don't mess with my fireplace anymore. In fact, I sold my last wood rack yesterday during a neighborhood garbage sale....

I know that issue all too well. Had to help dad cut wood and bring it in everyday after school in the winter.

This project was so useful and helpful this year . . . great addition to the property . . .

sm_firewoodstorage42-jpg-jpg.jpg

Good God man!!! How many cords is that. Looks like enough for a shopping mall!!
:thumbsup:
Back of the shop wall is all Red Oak dead fall limbs.. predried! Pile is 6 feet high x about 46' long. Back of each marine container holds 2.5 to 3 bush cords. Not going through as much wood as we use to since I stopped using the shop stove, but still burn about 3 bush cords a year. Generally I'm only cutting diseased or fallen trees in the forest behind the house, rarely good standing wood.

I just built my new shop and have wood heat in it, so have to start cutting and splitting wood. We had a wood burner in the house growing up and Dad would make us split and stack wood as a summer time chore, but now I'm doing it myself. I'm looking at all kinds of different designs and really like your new set-up. :thumbsup:

I just built my new shop and have wood heat in it, so have to start cutting and splitting wood. We had a wood burner in the house growing up and Dad would make us split and stack wood as a summer time chore, but now I'm doing it myself. I'm looking at all kinds of different designs and really like your new set-up. :thumbsup:

Really happy with the design, the function, keeping the wood dry . . . very pleased and as 747Mopar said - no cookie cutter design here - I like a unique design ! ! !
( but then I have to figure out how to make it all work . . . but that's fine with me ! )

Just found out that this might be in my way for my shop . . .

So I'll have to adjust or modify the plans to accommodate where it sits . .

Or . . . It will need to be moved . . .

Oh Boy !

Best wood storage is open to air flow, with a roofed overhang of 2' on either side and stacked in alternating directions by layer. At least that's how Grandpa stored it. He knew ****....

Last edited:
Just did another quick once over of this thread....man, make's me tired just seeing it all again lol

Auto Transport Service
Back