• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simple Rear Main Seal Question Not in "Sticky"

PurpleBeeper

Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
I've read the rear main seal sticky AND I know I've made this mistake before, so I'm asking you guys for some help. I'm about to install a new rear main seal using one of the Hughes engine seal retainers.

My question is this....when you install the two halves of the rear main seal (parts that go around crank) in the retainer & block, there is a little "lip" that sticks up. Do the seal halves go in with the lips towards the PISTONS or towards the TRANSMISSION?

The Hughes instructions say something about "undercut" but I'm not sure what that means.

THANK YOU!

toward the pistons/inside of engine. never towards the trans. I don't understand all the rear seal issues people have. maybe there's bad internet info, don't know, but there shouldn't be the problems people have.

toward the pistons/inside of engine. never towards the trans. I don't understand all the rear seal issues people have. maybe there's bad internet info, don't know, but there shouldn't be the problems people have.

Thanks Lew... they "fit" in backwards & so do clutch disks (ask me how I know that). I appreciate the help

Well Daves69 disagree if you want. I have installed as many ropes as rubbers and have not had a leak from either.
Pretty dam chicken of you by the way.

I don't use rope seals but if it works for someone ok. I don't know how many viton seals I've done thru the decades but have never had the issues that some people seem to have.

Auto Transport Service
Back