• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

single sided spot welder help needed

yalpngulp

Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
I bought a porta spot single sided welder that is older than me, it looks just like the one in the picture . First time using it, I welded 2 scrap pieces of 18ga sheet together, i pryed and twisted the metal and it didn't want to come apart afterwards so it seemed to work pretty good . Since then, I cleaned up the probes a little with a wire brush a bit because they were corroded looking. now I can't get it to stick, I've tried different temperature and timing settings. I'm not sure what I did different the first time but I can't seem to reproduce it. The very first time, I let off the trigger early and didn't let the timer shut it off, so I'm wondering if maybe I have the timer too high now. Is it possible that welding it too long makes it unstick? I'm getting great penetration and a nice glow on the metal but it just doesn't want to stick. I'm open to suggestions.

tmp_16586-101760_3138193.JPG-1141146231.jpeg

Are the pieces your welding tight up against eachother and clean? If they are its possible there is a problem with the unit its self. I would start at the tips and work your way back checking and cleaning. Its possible you found the problem already and its in the leads.

Gaps, grounds and contaminants are the the enemy! Make sure none are present!, except a good ground...:)

That is exactly why I will never use one.
You never know when the penetration will go away on you
while using it and for that reason
I do not trust it..

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back