• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slap stick shifter linkage clips?

I have not seen those types of clips on my 73. I just used cotter pins where needed. Actually when I stripped down my car for rebuild, I discovered that instead of a cotter pin in one of the positions it actually had a small nail that was bent in half! LOL

I believe the ones pictured are definitely used on four speed linkage and I suspect that have a spring-loaded type action that help take out the slop of the mated pieces, whereas cotter pins don't help tight things up laterally.

If all the bushings and spacers on the linkage are good, there is no need for spring loaded pins on the slapstick linkage.

I agree that if things are tight there should be no worries but I am still curious to know whst was factory installed.

My car still has the original assembly from end to end still attached from factory... even the z bar seal screws never removed ( yet ) but bad news, is around thousand miles from home. I can request a pic thought

My car has being disssaaembled lot of times BUT never the shifter linkage ( as far I recall ) if did, reused same pieces for sure... cotter pins

IMG_4592.JPG
IMG_4593.JPG
IMG_4594.JPG
IMG_4595.JPG
IMG_4596.JPG
IMG_4597.JPG
IMG_4598.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back