• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slap Stik shifter issue/question

Midnight_Rider

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
Hey all. Never messed with a slap stik before, just picked one up for my project.

This shifter is apparently missing an insert/plug which looks like it would press-fit into the opening in the frame and stabilize the shifter handle?

Can anyone tell me more about this missing piece?

Seems like it would be simple enough to machine something up, just want to make sure there's not something I'm missing design-wise.

Thanks in advance.

20171006_145513_remod_sm.jpg

Keep in mind some people called the T handle slap stick whether it was or not.
Slap stick was a feature for shifting. Basically what it did was as follows. Move shift handle to 1st, push up to second, pull back a bit then shift to 3rd. All without pressing the button. NOT ALL cars with that shifter had Slap Stick. so that may be your difference.

Keep in mind some people called the T handle slap stick whether it was or not.
Slap stick was a feature for shifting. Basically what it did was as follows. Move shift handle to 1st, push up to second, pull back a bit then shift to 3rd. All without pressing the button. NOT ALL cars with that shifter had Slap Stick. so that may be your difference.

Good info. This shifter does as you describe. Also once you work your way from 1st to D, you can press the button and the mechanism clicks down to where you can go freely between D and N.

Still no one has answered your question. The 72 is 1800 miles from home or I would go look.

That hole in the center of that pin should not be there from my experience and there was no plug or insert in there from the factory in any of those that i have ever seen. It was either a factory machining mistake or someone drilled it in there to try to expand the pin to make it tighter. The depth of that pin is too deep as well which may be from abuse of the shifter causing play from side to side which will let the pin go down in further. Where the factory rivers holding the mechanism together been replaced? Any pics of the other side of the shifter?

That hole in the center of that pin should not be there from my experience and there was no plug or insert in there from the factory in any of those that i have ever seen. It was either a factory machining mistake or someone drilled it in there to try to expand the pin to make it tighter. The depth of that pin is too deep as well which may be from abuse of the shifter causing play from side to side which will let the pin go down in further. Where the factory rivers holding the mechanism together been replaced? Any pics of the other side of the shifter?

I think maybe there's a little optical illusion going on with the pics, or maybe I'm missing what you're saying? There's a hole for a pin at the base of the shift lever. But no pin, which is the problem and why the shift lever is sloppy.

Check out the pic Dibbons posted, you can see the countersunk head of the pin on his where mine has the big hole. I can fabricate something to make it work, but I just didn't know exactly what was missing on mine. I can't imagine it doing anything but stabilizing the shift lever, but thought it was worth asking just in case someone had had one of these apart and could tell me for sure I'm not missing anything else important.

I don't have the shifter with me here at work so I can't get pics but it doesn't look like it's been apart. I did find a pic of a few on the auction site that are apart, but unfortunately it doesn't show the other side of the shift levers... although it looks like we can infer that there would be another pin like the one showing on the passenger side of the shift lever, for the driver's side, which would fit through the hole on the shifter base. Which for all practical purposes answers my question :)

s-l1000.jpg

You can see the pics in the pics Dibbons provided the pin on the drivers side is recessed more than the pin on the passengers side, this is the correct way the shifters for 71-74 B-Body are made. On the pic you provided it looked like the pin was recessed too far which would happen if the shifter housing is bent and spread apart. and it appeared to have a hole drilled in it. Glad you have it figured out now

You can see the pics in the pics Dibbons provided the pin on the drivers side is recessed more than the pin on the passengers side, this is the correct way the shifters for 71-74 B-Body are made. On the pic you provided it looked like the pin was recessed too far which would happen if the shifter housing is bent and spread apart. and it appeared to have a hole drilled in it. Glad you have it figured out now

Thanks. Yeah, I see what you are saying. The passenger side is definitely an "outie" and the driver's side is an "innie".

I have had the Hurst Comp apart enough time I don't need pictures to put it together but one of these never.

Auto Transport Service
Back