• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slapstick Transmission on Dodge Charger

Acworld34

Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
Slapstick Transmission on Dodge Charger or other B-Body

I was reviewing this video with Mike Musto's Dodge Daytona and Dodge Charger. Please see 12:42 of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUaN21qZZSw

Where he reveals that there is a slapstick transmission with overdrive in the Charger. I really didn't understand what he was talking about having basically 6 gears.

So I am wondering a few things and some of these questions might sound stupid but I am a newbie so give me a break.

1. Is the slapstick just the shifter in this case not other modifications? I imagine that the tranny in the video has an overdrive gear already and this is a specialized transmission set up for this car and not stock. So it would be a transmission with three gears with overdrive.

2. could you put a slapstick on a regular automatic like our stock auto 727? I wanted to change my auto column to a floor shift and I was wondering the options.

3. Please state your opinion on how do these compare to 4 speed transmissions and your driving impressions if you have ever driven one. Does it kill the transmissions or more wear and tear. I know on modern cars they have basically slapstick until your computer changes the gear for you.

Any insight would help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Looks like to me this is just an add-on overdrive unit, that splits all three gears on a 3 speed trans, where you would have 1st, 1st overdrive, 2nd, second overdrive, and 3rd and 3rd overdrive. A stock 3 speed 727 came with a slapstick shifter, doesn't look like that one in the video at all.

I did a little research into adding one on my 727, which you can do, it bolts on in place of the tail shaft to your existing transmission, but based on cost, could not justify that right now, maybe later, as it would be nice to have the reduction in highway rpm for better gas mileage. I know year one carries the Gear Vendors Overdrive units, but I am sure there are more options available out there.

Thanks for sharing the video, that is a pretty bad *** charger!!!!

Slap stick and overdrive/6 speed are two, maybe even three different things.

Slap Stick is the Mopar name for their factory ratchet shifter for an automatic.

It allows you to put the shifter in L or 1st, and then "slap" it forward to go into 2nd without it going any further (such as 3rd or, heaven forbid...neutral )

To my knowledge, none of the other major manufacturers offered one of these.
They are, however, common aftermarket items.

An overdrive, is an external gearset that causes the driveshaft to spin slower than 1:1, when engaged.

Gear splitting is really kind of over rated, and you would realistically only get one split during a run, unless you had the time and manual dexterity to flip that o/d switch back and forth twice in every gear.

Auto Transport Service
Back