• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slip yoke play?

janbanan

Local time
8:11 PM
Reaction score
I have vibrations at about 40 to 60 mph. I noticed there was a small play in slip yoke bushing. I was sure that was the problem and bought special tool and a new bushing. When the axle was taken down I saw there was a u joint broken, so I guess that caused the vibration. My intention was to replace the bushing aswell but when I checked the new one, it was about the same play as in car. My slip yoke looks okey. Does bushings in different sizes exist? Is the play I have ok?

You could measure the od of the yoke and id of the bushing and that will give you your oil clearance.

But in my opinion, that little bit of slop is about right as the yoke will not move up/down as it rides on the tail shaft. So if it was me, I'd install and burn the tires.

I have vibrations at about 40 to 60 mph. I noticed there was a small play in slip yoke bushing. I was sure that was the problem and bought special tool and a new bushing. When the axle was taken down I saw there was a u joint broken, so I guess that caused the vibration. My intention was to replace the bushing aswell but when I checked the new one, it was about the same play as in car. My slip yoke looks okey. Does bushings in different sizes exist? Is the play I have ok?

When you press in the new bushing in, it will shrink slightly on the I.D. so you can't measure clearances unit it's installed.

****, now I know what happened, I´m stupid. I updated my rear with new gear and stronger yoke. New yoke needed 1350 u-joint with outer clips (30,2mm)
and my driveaxle have 7290 type with inner clips (28,6 mm). I have been driving with this for months now. What do I do? I haven´t checked u-joint size on axle yet but I´ll guess it is the same on all four pins?

I've replace a Muncie rear bushing with an excellent yoke and a A727 rear bushing with new yoke this year during rebuilds and both exhibited some slop if the uninstalled bushing was test fitted to the yoke. But after driving the bushing into the tail housing and once the yoke is slipped over the splined output shaft - neither had any movement at all. If your yoke is good and no appreciable wear, it should be OK.

Auto Transport Service
Back