• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small block water pump bolt question???

idrivemopar

Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my original water pump bolts, the ones I have been using are a bit pitted, and just feel weak when I torque them, and I certainly don't want one to snap off. I will be changing my water pump soon, so taking the opportunity to replace them.

My question, classic industries has a set and I noticed in their picture of them, of the 4 long bolts that go through the center of the water pump housing, two of them are slightly shorter but my original 4 are all the same length, are the two shorter ones for the top and the two longer ones for the bottom that go through the power steering and alt mounting plates, and I have just been using incorrect bolts all these years????

Here is the set, http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/mm8276.html

Sorry,
Off hand I DO NOT have your answer.
BUT:
You can do what I always do;
That is to insert a "scribe" into each hole and annotate the 2 "short" holes
Another words, measure the depth of each hole.

Hope this helps

That makes sense, and I have never had any issues using the bolts all the same size, just was wondering if the new set is correct, that is all.

Thats how I remember them 2 long 2 almost as long and the 3 short ones (2 drilled) with washers... Thats how my 340 was

Thanks Seventy, its interesting that there are only two washers, I thought all the bolts had washers as mine do now. What is the reason for the two that are drilled?

Auto Transport Service
Back