• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small block water pump recommendations

idrivemopar

Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
I am tired of screwing with water pumps and water pump problems on my 340. When the motor was built, I had a 8 blade mopar performance pump, but it was in the standard housing, so I changed it to the proper mopar performance 8 blade with the correct housing, only to have it start leaking at the weep hole a few hundred miles down the road. I sent it to be rebuilt and the tolerances made better, it was out of warranty from mopar, (90 day bs warranty), however, now this one squeals, and I notice at higher rpm, the pulley has a wobble, so thinking this is the cause of my mystery engine vibration at 3200 rpm. Good the guy guarantees his work for life of the car, so I can send it back to be looked at, but now I am not sure I even with trust the damn thing.

Pretty much all the manufacturers seem to have the same housing, Mopar performance, Miloden, Murry, all the parts store brands etc. I doubt I will get another Mopar performance pump. I have seen a couple of different ones, True flow high flow from napa has different impeller design, and reasonable price and Edlebrock has a pricy high flow pump as well.

I am not thinking I need a high flow pump, just looking for an 8 blade that is good quality.

Any recommendations from anyone on what to try next?

Last edited:
Well, found out what happened to my pump, looks like the bearing shifted forward and the impeller was rubbing on the housing. The guy that rebuilt it is already sending out another pump with pickup for this one at no cost to me. Nice to see such good customer service. I just now have to figure out the best way to flush out my cooling system.
20160421_141704.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back