• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So it begins, 5.7 and Nag1 install

Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
So here it is. The plan is to get this car up and running by july on a tight budget and do entirely by myself. Its going to be a daily driver. so driveability and gas mileage are priorities.

Here some pics, It fits! with little tunnel modifications and trans shaving. used Speedway universal motor mounts from ebay $50 modified stock trans mount to mount rear of trans.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Attachments

• DSC04051.JPG
    DSC04051.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,982
  • DSC04048.JPG
    DSC04048.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 3,084
  • DSC04045.JPG
    DSC04045.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 2,611
  • DSC04050.JPG
    DSC04050.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 2,251
  • DSC04046.JPG
    DSC04046.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,831
Hey, that is gonna be one fun ride when your done. Keep posting pics of you progress and if you run into something your not sure, just ask, and I'll try to help. Also, let us know what management system your using.

subscribed.

Looks like an early 5.7 car motor. What are your running for a computer? I would ditch the egr and run a block off plate. If you are running the stock computer with a predator I can turn it off for you.

Looks like you have a great start to it. Good luck with the build

Looks great! I would suggest you go with a Hotwireauto harness! They can reprogram the PCM I had them do the EGR delete on my harness and PCM, Will make for a very clean install!! What did you do about the oil filter? I bought the 90 degree adapter from my local Dodge dealership and I am going to mod the K-member for it to clear, alot better than running a remote filter imo because the minute a line blows it's all over but the crying!! Keep it up!!

Looks great! I would suggest you go with a Hotwireauto harness! They can reprogram the PCM I had them do the EGR delete on my harness and PCM, Will make for a very clean install!! What did you do about the oil filter? I bought the 90 degree adapter from my local Dodge dealership and I am going to mod the K-member for it to clear, alot better than running a remote filter imo because the minute a line blows it's all over but the crying!! Keep it up!!

Do you know the part number for that adapater? My local dealership looked at me funny when I asked about one so I need to find the part number and go in and just tell them I want part ***.

And Looks good!! I'll have mine to about the same spot in the next couple weeks, got the trans in last weekend.

Kb I looked it up online, I will see what all the part numbers are when I go back out in the shop, it is not a "kit" from Mopar you have to buy all the seals and the threaded tube seperately I believe it was around $70.00

The oil filter fits. since i cut out the factory motor mounts and mounted the motor a little high for ground clearance. (since i plan on making the car ride pretty low). It fits with absolutely no oil system modifications. That was a pleasant surprise!

And you guys are right i need to rip off that stupid EGR.

Attachments

• DSC04047.JPG
    DSC04047.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 1,403
whats your plan for the tranny controller? I myself will be installing the wheel sensors and rear suspension from an 07 to drive my factory tranny controller in my 63.

The oil filter fits. since i cut out the factory motor mounts and mounted the motor a little high for ground clearance. (since i plan on making the car ride pretty low). It fits with absolutely no oil system modifications. That was a pleasant surprise!

And you guys are right i need to rip off that stupid EGR.

You know I was thinking that might work. I plan to cut out the factory motor mount locations as well since I am not using the TTI mounts and making my own plus the pass side mount is exactly where my oil filter will sit making it an issue anyway.

Yeah get rid of the egr.

nice car

beautiful start i hope you have more pics i would love to know what brand wheel you have and size also what tire size thanks and keep upi the good work

I plan on using all factory wiring and computers. Replicating factory rear speed sensors to make the trany work With the 8 3/4 Have not got that far yet I'll let you know when I know how exactly how to do it.

The wheels are billet specialties, qualifiers.17x8 On 245/45/17 BFgoodrich G force. Wheels have custom backspacing 5˝ in the rear and 3 3/4 in the front.

I plan on using all factory wiring and computers. Replicating factory rear speed sensors to make the trany work With the 8 3/4 Have not got that far yet I'll let you know when I know how exactly how to do it.

The wheels are billet specialties, qualifiers.17x8 On 245/45/17 BFgoodrich G force. Wheels have custom backspacing 5˝ in the rear and 3 3/4 in the front.

Just to advise you, the wheel speed sensors will have to spin at the factory speeds, and have an accurate as close to factory reading as possible or your may run into problems-this is why I'm going with the factory 07 charger rear assembly and using the factory hubs from the charger just doing some hole drilling to the factory 63 plymouth spindle.

Just to advise you, the wheel speed sensors will have to spin at the factory speeds, and have an accurate as close to factory reading as possible or your may run into problems-this is why I'm going with the factory 07 charger rear assembly and using the factory hubs from the charger just doing some hole drilling to the factory 63 plymouth spindle.

That is not exactly true. The TCM can be programed to a variety of gear ratios

I would suggest 3.23 or 3.55 if you plan on driving the car on the freeway. I put 3.73's in my charger and it was a little too high in the rpm range at 65 for my liking. If you need help with the tcm stuff let me know. As you can tell from my screen name, I do lots of LX's i.e. the 5.7 and the NAG1

An improperly programmed tcm will cause the car to not want to shift. It will also down shift so hard it locks the tires up

I would suggest 3.23 or 3.55 if you plan on driving the car on the freeway. I put 3.73's in my charger and it was a little too high in the rpm range at 65 for my liking. If you need help with the tcm stuff let me know. As you can tell from my screen name, I do lots of LX's i.e. the 5.7 and the NAG1

An improperly programmed tcm will cause the car to not want to shift. It will also down shift so hard it locks the tires up

So have you put a nag1 in a custom application before? The 5.7 and nag1 combo uses 2.82 ratio so I was going to get as close as I could to that. Don't they make a 2.76 for the 8 3/4?

Do you know what one would have to do to make the factory tcm work in our classics? I'm going to try and install NAG1's into both my cars. Biggest concern is it would be really great if i could just run one wheel sensor signal to the tcm(such as a wheel sensor off a newer rear axle like the 8.25 in a jeep cherokee or a dodge nitro likely needing shortening but easy)

Do you know what one would have to do to make the factory tcm work in our classics? I'm going to try and install NAG1's into both my cars. Biggest concern is it would be really great if i could just run one wheel sensor signal to the tcm(such as a wheel sensor off a newer rear axle like the 8.25 in a jeep cherokee or a dodge nitro likely needing shortening but easy)

The Dakota and Durango 9.25 axles also run the rear diff speed sensor if that works for you and you wanted something a little stronger then the 8.25. I am considering running one of these axles myself but still need to investigate the cost of getting 5 lug axle shafts for it (instead of the 6 lug)

So have you put a nag1 in a custom application before? The 5.7 and nag1 combo uses 2.82 ratio so I was going to get as close as I could to that. Don't they make a 2.76 for the 8 3/4?

I am doing my first full swap.

I have built lots of 5.7/6.1 based combo's in new cars. All the tuning, ratios, etc translates perfectly

Auto Transport Service
Back