• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter not working? 66 coronet

Drock

Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
I left my coronet parked for about two weeks while out camping, came home last night tried to move it out of my driveway and it stuttered a bit then click click click. I'm hoping from the video I've posted here someone can give me some pointers where to start. I recently replaced the starter relay, the battery is good and fully charged. I also found out while inspecting everything that the alternator mount is incorrect and the mounting bolt was stripped, they threw a fix a spring thread in and called it a day well that didn't work. I have ordered the correct mounting bracket and it should be here in the morning. Any suggestions would be awesome.

IMG_0507.JPG IMG_5153.JPG IMG_2629.JPG IMG_0601.JPG

Correction the one below the ignition switch relay is the for horn, however, I have not replaced the regulator.

I think your good battery is dead (maybe a small short "somewhere" in the wiring draining it). Jump start it & see if she fires up. Then put a regular old voltage meter on the battery posts. Should be "I think" about 12.2 volts when not running & something like 14.5 volts when running if the alternator is good. Maybe the alternator wasn't charging like you thought if the belt was a little loose? Good place to start anyway.

Thanks, as I mentioned battery is good.
I think your good battery is dead (maybe a small short "somewhere" in the wiring draining it). Jump start it & see if she fires up. Then put a regular old voltage meter on the battery posts. Should be "I think" about 12.2 volts when not running & something like 14.5 volts when running if the alternator is good. Maybe the alternator wasn't charging like you thought if the belt was a little loose? Good place to start anyway.

IMG_0448.JPG

Clean all your connections first, also maybe a bad batt. cable.

Make sure the starter relay is grounded good to the firewall. Check and clean your battery connections. Even if your battery says 12+ volts doesn't mean its good. If possible swap with a known good one.

I would start at what was replaced...check connections etc...

Do you have a bump starter you can connect to the starter relay to try?

Also you could probably see 12.3v on a meter but have a bad battery(shorted cell). Try a jump start like previously said.

Also you could probably see 12.3v on a meter but have a bad battery(shorted cell). Try a jump start like previously said.
Tried jump start last night, no luck some response... click click click. seems strange that a short would develop while stationary for a few weeks.

I drove it for about 4 weeks with the starter relay changed with no issues. checked that it is passing voltage when turned over and its functional.

I don't seems worth the purchase, i should probably have one around..

Or the old school large screwdriver and cross the terminals trick....
I'll get it on some jack stands , keep you posted.. anything else you can think to check let me know.. just for a sanity check, i should hear the starter try and turn even if the alternator is not fully engaged with the belts?

Sounds like the starter, take a hammer and rap on it a couple of times.
Also a dmm won't show a true state of the battery but can give you a clue . You need a load check to really know its condition

EVERYtime I change anything I clean & shine up every connection. Word to the wise!

Tried jump start last night, no luck some response... click click click. seems strange that a short would develop while stationary for a few weeks.

Batteries can take a dump anytime.

Auto Transport Service
Back