• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel Removal Help

CHAZ666

Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
How do you remove the steering wheel to get to the turn signal switch ? I am trying to install a new turn signal switch and trying to get to it. Any help ? Please, thank you.

You will need to buy or borrow a puller. They aren't very expensive and can be found at larger parts stores or online.

69 Charger Steering Wheel Removal

You will need to buy or borrow a puller. They aren't very expensive and can be found at larger parts stores or online.

Thanks for the help, I just ordered one via internet. But how do you take off the horn button off the steering wheel to get to the bolts ? Does it twist off ? Does it pop off ? I was afraid of braking something.

What kind of car and wheel are you working on?

My 1966 factory wheel as well as lots of others takes about a 1/8 sharp turn counterclockwise to remove the center horn section.

Tuff wheels horn buttons just pull sharply straight out, and then remove three nuts.

69 charger wheel help

What kind of car and wheel are you working on?

My 1966 factory wheel as well as lots of others takes about a 1/8 sharp turn counterclockwise to remove the center horn section.

Tuff wheels horn buttons just pull sharply straight out, and then remove three nuts.

It's a 1969 Dodge Charger, original Steering wheel, I'm trying to replace my turn signal switch, it's broken.

Look for two recesses in the back of the wheel body with phillips screws.

Don't have one at the house, but seem to remember that from my 74 Charger.

May be way off.

There are several wheels available. Post a pic and we can give you a definitive answer

69 Charger Steering Wheel Removal

Here is the wheel. Does this snap off ?

Picture 007.jpg

Carefully remove the dodge medallion and there will be a 7/16 bolt under it. That gets the pad off. 3 screws (phillips) for the horn button, and a single nut for the wheel. 11/16 or 3/4. Don't remember which

1969 Dodge Charger Steering Wheel Removal

Carefully remove the dodge medallion and there will be a 7/16 bolt under it. That gets the pad off. 3 screws (phillips) for the horn button, and a single nut for the wheel. 11/16 or 3/4. Don't remember which

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

After this use a gear puller .. although i have just jerked some of them off in a pinch (oops)

Once that is done (and be very careful prying out the plastic madallion). Remove the two small phillips screws for the wire cover plate on the bottom of the column. You will also need to remove the connector harness to fish the old wires out, and the new ones in the column. Make sure you write the color sequence down before you remove the connector. A small pic is used to push the retaining prong on each wire connector, making removal easy. Good luck.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back