• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange engineering front disc brakes

Cape

Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys! I bought the front disc brake conversion kit for my 69 charger in thinking they'll be ok for street/strip mostly strip and the occasional drive to the car shows. But after talking to the tech guy today he said not a great idea. I'm not doing any racing on the street just cruising. Anyone else have these brakes and drive them every now and then on the street? Another question I have is I have drum brakes on the back and was wondering will the drums be ok for racing? Or should I get the strange rear disc brakes? The cars going to be around 3800lbs 478 hemi around 800-850hp I haven't run it on the Dyno yet. Gforce G101a 4 speed trans with a McLeod soft loc adjustable clutch. Just wondering what other people's experience with these brakes are. If I'm missing anything please let me know. Thanks

The race brakes will get warm.....especially with drums out back. That's a big/heavy car.

So you think it would be a good thing to get rid of the drums and get the disc for the rear? Thanks

So you think it would be a good thing to get rid of the drums and get the disc for the rear? Thanks
No. Buy ventilated discs for the car, start with discs only on front and go with rear if necessary.
Mike

No. Buy ventilated discs for the car, start with discs only on front and go with rear if necessary.
Mike
Totally agree.

Wilwood has a vented rotor kit that works great on the street and strip. It is what I put on my car.

I have both Wilwood's and Strange on my 4 racecars. Strange blows away Wilwoods in every aspect. Stopping power, ease of installation.
You'll have no problem on the street with Strange brakes and rotors. Use em'.
My 65 Plymouth was street/Strip and I went cruising almost every Saturday and had no problem with my Strange Disc brake setup.

rollcage2.png

Thanks superstockrace R and everyone for there opinions. Superstockrace R on your 65 Plymouth that you have the strange brakes on did you have to put a proportional valve on it? And just wondering if you think I'd be ok with the drums on back or should switch to there rear brake kit. Thanks

I have a set of strange on my race car fronts and rears. Love them. Theres a bit more to the setup so make sure you get all the parts. and tools to adjust front and rear pressures. This was the biggest weight saver you can do its huge.
IMG_0404.JPG

Last edited:
What else is needed? I have the fronts but not the rear brakes. It's still the stock master cylinder. Should I upgrade the master? Thanks for the help.

You will need to do that and a proportion valve and gauge to adjust the pressure. I used there master cylinder.

Thanks superstockrace R and everyone for there opinions. Superstockrace R on your 65 Plymouth that you have the strange brakes on did you have to put a proportional valve on it? And just wondering if you think I'd be ok with the drums on back or should switch to there rear brake kit. Thanks

There was one on the car when I bought the car but on my other 2, there is no proportioning valve and works fine. The proportioning valve on the 65 Plymouth and 65 black dodge are all set to 100% one way.

What else is needed? I have the fronts but not the rear brakes. It's still the stock master cylinder. Should I upgrade the master? Thanks for the help.

Yes change to a Strange Engineering master cylinder. You'll need the MC adapter too.

So is the porportioning valve needed if I keep the rear drum brakes? Or is it needed no matter what? So do you guys think the drums will be ok? Thanks

So is the porportioning valve needed if I keep the rear drum brakes? Or is it needed no matter what? So do you guys think the drums will be ok? Thanks
You need to limit the pressure to the front brakes no matter what. I would do all 4 wheels

Everything I've read you need a proportioning valve to rear. I have one on my rear drums. Had a 69 Coronet and the factory I think had one and 10"x2"or 2.5" rear brakes.

Everything I've read you need a proportioning valve to rear. I have one on my rear drums. Had a 69 Coronet and the factory I think had one and 10"x2"or 2.5" rear brakes.

2 of my cars have no proportioning valves and work fine. At 1st there were front discs brakes with rear drums and no valve then switched to 4 wheel discs and no valve and no problems. line loc works great on both.

Talk to strange. There is a lady in tech who knows her stuff. Much better than the guys there. She really helped me a lot and actually most of the info is in there catalog. Best to talk to the people in the know and not try and second guess or get opinions on your brake system.

Last edited:
Every one I've built, has a proportioning valve to the rear brakes, including my hydraboosted e-body. The Strange race brakes[all 4 wheels] are adequate for the track and little street cruises, but think vented discs are needed for a heavy car with rear drums or street-driven a lot. After having sat on the hoist for 3 years...I have 2 stuck, Strange calipers. The **** looks cool, and is light...but not designed for street-driving. Unless you need the.00000000001 of a second when racing or want to brag about your "Joe Racer" parts...... If ya really wanna stop, get carbon stuff and dual calipers on the rear.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back