• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superbird reproduction fiberglass parts

SbirdSteve

Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
Looking to see if anyone can help on advising the quality of the various "brand" of reproduction fiberglass superbird parts out there. I am looking for a nose and maybe fenders. I've done a search on the web and found a few suppliers. Being away from B-bodies for 20 years, I no longer know who is good and who is bad. I seem to remember that some suppliers buy certain parts from others.

So, if you have a name of a supplier and good news, please let me know. If not good news, best to message me.

Thank you for your help, Steve

I used a complete Janak kit on mine. However he did not have fenders (at least at that time) But he has been doing it the longest that I know of.But I had to find and cut a coronet hood and front fenders. But so far it has been good. I drive the car and there has been no issues with his glass parts. They requior a bit of tweaking to get a good fit. But I guess they all would.

- - - Updated - - -

Ted Janak, Spring Texas

Another quick note: And it depends on budget of course. There is a guy on this forum that makes great looking metal parts. I know they would be more expensive but if I had to do it again I think I would go that way. Start to finish and trying to be correct with my build I put 55K in mine.

Steve, what are you needing the parts for? Don't you own an original?

DreamC, thanks - good info. I remember Ted Janek from the 1980/90's. Had good reputation.

HemiR, yes all metal. However I may need to modify the nose to get additional cooling for the new motor. Don't want to cut up the metal nose (even though it has fair amount of dents under the putty, I don't want to modify it). I may remove the bottom valance and modify that area for cooling (not sure yet if that will work).

Plus, I am looking to reduce front end weight. If I am getting a glass nose, may as well look at doing more glass parts at the same time.

I'm not sure that fiberglass will be lighter the way most of those are made. My reproduction steel nose isn't really that heavy. What engine are you putting in it?

Good point: I forgot they go thicker with glass to regain strength and make it a quality piece.

Was going with crate motor, but now found a fresh supercharged Gen 3. Not sure what I will end up with but looking at scenario where it runs hot and I need to get more air in to cool things.

Added to the equation is that the car had dents filled in and repainted before 1978: either redo the original front metal or hang new glass parts. Just looking at my options right now.

Can any of you guys tell what the price of a complete conversion kit would be?I may be picking up a 70 Satellite to build a Superbird clone/

I can't even get pricing out of Ted Janak himself lol. Whatever you budget for, quadruple it!

Janak has some stuff on ebag right now
it appears to be a step up from stinger that has less detail from what i have seen.
it is still a puzzle to put together as nobody has a complete nut to bolt type kit.
i'm putting together a janak nose
and i'm thinking of modifying some of the headlight mounting
and putting a metal type backing behind some of the glass parts
as i don't think they will hold up long term.
i still have to figure out what to use as a pivot for the bucket
as some of it you have to fabricate yourself..

a price of a complete conversion would be pretty hard to come up with
to give you a idea this is what i have so far into mine parts wise
i'm starting with a 70 4 spd runner and
im shooting to do it on a low budget
just slap together a driver
i have shopped around quite a bit and i got lucky with some stuff
and stepped into it with some horse trading

first i bought some parts from a project a guy gave up on.
complete janak nose,hood extension,fender extensions,fender scoops and a super mint pass 70 coro fender - 2.5k
nice 70 coro hood- 350
nice 70 coro drivers fender- 350
janak rear plug at carlisle-100
traded for
original superbird rear window and chrome trim in good shape
i gave up about 850 worth of rear end parts.
im into it so far about 4150
and i still need a pillar deflectors and a wing and supports.
i think i have gotten off cheap for what i have gathered up so far.
you can sink 5k into a metal nose cone alone..

Last edited:
Fly: good luck with the project. I have not looked too hard at parts in the past 20 years. I can't believe no one offers a complete kit.
I want to convert from vacuum to electric actuated headlights (I think there is another thread on that subject, so I will be brief on this post). I found that the electric kit for Chargers is considered not powerful enough for the extra mass of the Superbird headlights. Appears I need to scratch build something myself (although I heard a Porsche(?) system may be modified - again there is a tread for that). I hope to get a glass nose and work on a headlight system before putting it on a car. May take me most the summer! I need a nose and all the parts.
So... let me know (here or message me) if you go electric actuators for your nose's headlights.
Thanks!

Original post update Feb 2016

Thought I would give an update to this thread.

Because the induction of my Gen 3 Hemi motor may have an interference with the hood, I have purchased a new Stinger fiberglass hood to modify if needed. Looks like real nice quality. Note: the G 3 is currently normally aspirated with 8 individual throttle bodies and short stacks. Long stacks were planned when I bought the hood. Supercharger may be in a year or two.

I am still looking for a complete Superbird nose assembly. I plan to fabricate my own electric headlight actuator system. The maker of the Charger system was honest and cautioned me that it may not have enough power for the heavier winged car headlight holders.

I recently found out that fiberglass wings have an inner metal support to reduce that sag. In the 1990's I saw a fiberglass wing sag way down at 50 MPH; possibly no metal inside. The airfoil will do that.

I bought two reproduction fender scoops (Stinger) but yet to compare them to the originals on my car. In the past year I found evidence that Chrysler had two different style fender scoops and some 'Birds had one of each. My car appears to be one of those. Once I pull off the original scoops I will compare to the repro's.

I have not done much research on fenders, rear plug, or the other parts.

Facebook.com/bannedbird has pictures of the factory scoops and will show the nose project.

Thanks!

Attachments

• scoopsX2a x623 WM.jpg
    scoopsX2a x623 WM.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 394
there was someone for a short time that was offering
complete headlight buckets with the electric motors for like 400 a side
this was 10 years ago i want to say?
maybe dayclona mike would know who or where
i have seen people try to modify a electric lebaron headlights (problems with angles of opening)
and also mid 90's firebird flip up headlights
so there are options out there to play around with.
keep in mind these fiberglass headlight buckets really don't weigh that much
i don't think they would weigh any more then charger buckets?

i know that the originals were lifted up by spring tension and the actuators keep them closed.
i'm going to try to do something like that.
i'm trying to keep this cheap as i can
i have been looking at alot pics on google images for ideas.
with the janak parts
some of them you have to cut all the holes out of them because the come molded together
and then you have to cut them out and assemble them like a giant plastic model.

i will say looking at this stuff that the janak stuff has alot better detail on their parts
then the stinger stuff does.
that cheap bird kit that they offer is just that..cheap looking to me
so there is a good swing of quality when you step up in price.

the project i'm working on will be slow going as i have 2 other cars in front of it
that i'm working on currently a 71 runner and a 69 a12 bee.
my plan is to get the nose cone mostly assembled,working and ready to go before i even dig into the car itself.
putting the janak kit together is like a puzzle with no instructions.
i bought mine 2nd hand so i don't know if there is a guide that came with it.
i sort of doubt it.

when i get a chance i will snap up some pics of what i have going on
and i will point out some of the differences in details that
i have noticed between the cheap fiber super parts and the more expensive ones.
imo
the janak stuff just looks better overall..

Last edited:
Can any of you guys tell what the price of a complete conversion kit would be?I may be picking up a 70 Satellite to build a Superbird clone/

Up to ten grand seems to be the top price for fiberglass and up to 25 grand for metal

Last edited:
Haven't had much luck with stinker

Last edited:
8+ years ago a Janak kit was around 9K when I got mine. Also there was a waiting period of about 3 to 6 months. While not perfect his stuff has held up very well. I had to do some tweaking for sure to get a good quality fit that looked right. But after all said and done if I were to do it over again (and couldn't afford metal parts) I would go with Janak.

Auto Transport Service
Back