• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sure grip reasonable price

68chargerpilot

Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
Im starting my search for a sure grip unit to put in my 68 Charger. I have a 742 casting in it with 3.23 gears. I would like to add the sure grip to it when its time to rebuild. I'm getting prices all over the map. A sure grip not in a case from a strange bird on craigslist for 125.00
A mopar only junkyard wanted 500.00 for one with 4.55 gears. Another Craigslist mopar seller wanted 250.00. All required about 2 hours drive in one direstion. What's a reasonable price for one?
I'm planning to go to Carlisle next summer. Anyone have a guess what they might go for there?

Wow dr diff is kinda pricey I've gotten full units in a case ready to roll all rebuilt for that price with gears

An Eaton Trutrac is what I would recommend, about $500 with mail in rebate through Christmas. Anyyhing used would have to be rebuilt. The Dr. Dif seems like a good price and he has good customer service.

I went with Dr diff. Might be a little more $ but worth the peace of mind.

This is why I ask these things. One recommendation is one thing but when this many of you guys point to just buying a new part it really sways my thinking. The time spent tracking one down added to the cost of buying one from whomever pluse the rebuild kit really makes me want to just buy a new one and move on.

So if the equation is this swayed to getting a new one, why are some people charging so much for an old one?

This is why I ask these things. One recommendation is one thing but when this many of you guys point to just buying a new part it really sways my thinking. The time spent tracking one down added to the cost of buying one from whomever pluse the rebuild kit really makes me want to just buy a new one and move on.

So if the equation is this swayed to getting a new one, why are some people charging so much for an old one?
Asking price and selling price aren't always the same. If you are just gonna be cruising with an occasional blast of fun you can save a little with a decent used one. If you plan to play a little harder go with a new one.

I keep my eyes peeled and snag up good deals, as a matter of fact I just bought a 489 sure grip for $200. I rebuild my own so this is the best route and have yet to come across a bad unit. Me personally, I would never pay what Dr Diff wants for one, not saying it isn't worth it but I prefer building my own.

Having said that rebuilding one isn't something to take lightly, being a machinist/Industrial mech for years I'm familiar with setting up gearboxes, bearing preloads, etc so it's not a big deal. I encourage people to try anything but if your not up to it then yes just buy one ready to go.

To answer the question on used prices, $450 is probably the average asking price.

I keep my eyes peeled and snag up good deals, as a matter of fact I just bought a 489 sure grip for $200. I rebuild my own so this is the best route and have yet to come across a bad unit. Me personally, I would never pay what Dr Diff wants for one, not saying it isn't worth it but I prefer building my own.

Having said that rebuilding one isn't something to take lightly, being a machinist/Industrial mech for years I'm familiar with setting up gearboxes, bearing preloads, etc so it's not a big deal. I encourage people to try anything but if your not up to it then yes just buy one ready to go.

To answer the question on used prices, $450 is probably the average asking price.
200 bucks for a 489 posi is a smoking deal.....

If one has the tools and skills I agree ......

In reference to a 489 casting, dont they use the cone type unit and the 742 use the clutch unit? I have been looking for a 742 casting with one in it or a clutch unit by itself. That's why I mentioned the one for 125.00. It wasn't in the casting.

In reference to a 489 casting, dont they use the cone type unit and the 742 use the clutch unit? I have been looking for a 742 casting with one in it or a clutch unit by itself. That's why I mentioned the one for 125.00. It wasn't in the casting.
Nope....clutch.....

489 is also the biggest pinion....

Hence is why the 489 is more $$$ it is a stronger unit.....

Here's some info for you

http://mymopar.com/Mopar8_75RearEndGuide.htm

"Sure Grip is the Chrysler name for a limited slip differential. It was optional on the 8-3/4" axles, 1958-1974. Two styles were used.

1958-1969 used the Dana Power-Lok (# 2881487). This unit utilized clutches for the differential locking action. The Power-Lok can be rebuilt using kit # 2070845 ( Mopar Performance [MP] # P4529484 ). In this assembly, axle driveshaft end thrust is taken by the thrust block assembly (replacement # 2881313). This Sure Grip appeared in the '741' and '742' assemblies. The axle bearings are: 25590 (Timken cone), and 25520 (Timken cup), (Chrysler numbers 1790523 and 696403). The Dana Power-Lok can be recognized by its bolt-together assembly, bolts around the side opposite the ring gear, and multiple openings exposing the cross shafts.

1969-1974 used the Borg Warner Spin Resistant (# 2881343). This unit utilized a spring-preloaded cone friction arrangement for the locking action. Axle end thrust is taken by the cross shaft. This Sure Grip appeared in '489' assemblies and 70 and later '741'/'742' assemblies. The differential axle bearings are: LM 104912 (Timken cone), and LM 104949 (Timken cup), (Chrysler numbers 2852729 and 2852728). The Borg Warner Spin Resistant unit can be recognized by its lack of bolts on the side opposite the ring gear (like the Dana), and two openings exposing the preload springs. Borg Warner sold this design to Auburn Gear who currently offers the replacement Sure Grip assemblies."

Nope....clutch.....

489 is also the biggest pinion....

Hence is why the 489 is more $$$ it is a stronger unit.....
How many pinions have you seen broken on the other less stronger units? Keep in mind that they are all the same size where the yoke fits. In all the years I've been into Mopars (50+), what I see broken on the 8 3/4 are broken teeth and it involved ALL of the different cases including the 89. Personally, I won't run the 89 unit even on the street unless that damned crush sleeve is replaced with a solid spacer. Once that's done, I'm happy with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back