• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking Up New Residence

I'd rather have my nuts showing than run a chrome dust cap!!!
I coulda swore I put chrome caps on my dad's '59 Ferd Galaxie back in the day!I was probably 13-14?Looked pretty good then.

Clean everthing up real good then on to the new boot.
20170906_165620.jpg

Useing a little silicone spray on the boot to help it slide. Used a paint stirrer to help push the boot through.
20170906_171703.jpg
20170906_172458.jpg
20170906_172542.jpg
20170906_173551.jpg

Got the boot started through the back, gave it a little pull and this happens! SON OF A BITCH!
20170906_175414.jpg

Cheap *** fn rubber. Probably made in China. It tears so easy. It will stretch about 1/8" and it tears. Tore the crap out of it getting it back out too. So much for my first attempt!
20170906_180120.jpg

I even thought if the pin was to the one side that the housing might just come off. So I tried pressing it to one side but it wouldn't budge. I would need a good press for this one!
20170906_181816.jpg

oh we are back to x`s and o`s are we ..............:rofl:..................good job thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I KNEW there was a reason that I liked plain old U-joints!! Helped my dad one time on his '63 Fury, hated those things!

I KNEW there was a reason that I liked plain old U-joints!! Helped my dad one time on his '63 Fury, hated those things!

I've never known a regular u-joint to last over 50 years. This one looks new, except for the boot! Fn boot!

KK- are you gonna clean up the trunnion cover? LOL

Doesn't the better half need something done? Trade for another tool for the shop! '747mopar' ( I think) had that idea!

Doesn't the better half need something done? Trade for another tool for the shop! '747mopar' ( I think) had that idea!
Lol! It's just me, myself and I. And I like it that way! Even when I was married (almost 25yrs) if it was in the budget I bought it.

I hate buying a tool that you might only use once or twice. I'll rent one first if they are available. With having one of those bottle jack presses, I've always had access to one, mostly at work. The last time I needed one I stopped by the shop that does my vehicle inspections and he did what I needed while I waited. This is a precision job so I might just have to buy one to get it spot on. I'll sleep on it.

I commend you for doing this.Buy two kits(boots) that way your second attempt will go smooth.The other kit will sit on your shelf for the next 50 years ! I cheated and had this done

IMG_1391.jpg

Hang in there, Kid. You'll get it. Top notch job!
Have to wonder if there's any NOS boots around, or maybe a better make, out of a driveshaft shop? Or, a piece from a rubber supply house, with some kind of boot you could retrofit.

Think there's enough chinese junk floating around...the hell with it.

I commend you for doing this.Buy two kits(boots) that way your second attempt will go smooth.The other kit will sit on your shelf for the next 50 years ! I cheated and had this done

View attachment 511597

Good advice Darter. Yes the shaft modification is a good idea too. I've seen this before but maybe in the future.

Hang in there, Kid. You'll get it. Top notch job!
Have to wonder if there's any NOS boots around, or maybe a better make, out of a driveshaft shop? Or, a piece from a rubber supply house, with some kind of boot you could retrofit.

Think there's enough chinese junk floating around...the hell with it.

I have another one coming, suppose to be usa. I'm afraid a nos might be compromised from sitting on a shelf too long?

Watched a couple of vids on YouTube yesterday and the one guy used a wire on each side of the boot to pull it through the housing. I'm thinking a large zip tie would be better than a piece of wire. Anyway it worked for him.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Good advice Darter. Yes the shaft modification is a good idea too. I've seen this before but maybe in the future.

I have another one coming, suppose to be usa. I'm afraid a nos might be compromised from sitting on a shelf too long?

Watched a couple of vids on YouTube yesterday and the one guy used a wire on each side of the boot to pull it through the housing. I'm thinking a large zip tie would be better than a piece of wire. Anyway it worked for him.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:
KID...It appears there is plenty of this inferior parts crap going around for Everyone to enjoy!!

KID...It appears there is plenty of this inferior parts crap going around for Everyone to enjoy!!
You got that right brother!

I have other things to do on it while waiting on another boot. How are you making out with your part?

You got that right brother!

I have other things to do on it while waiting on another boot. How are you making out with your part?
I should have hopefully tomorrow the new Moog idler, and a Napa inner tie rod es 319L, and see what happens! You gotta love it!

Auto Transport Service
Back