• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Testing expansion valve out of the car? Anyone know?

idrivemopar

Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score
I was told, that when the capillary on the expansion valve is submerged in ice water, blowing air through the valve should be come more restricted, but darned if I can tell if there is any change.

So, just wondering if anyone knows how to definitively test the expansion valve outside of the car.

Thanks

A mopar exp. valve works off temp. and pressure. With out a press. diff. across the valve, it can't move or a just not much. Blowing air in it just add moisture to your system. If you have the valve out just change it and the dryer too. If it bad, you woundn't know till you charge it. Then you will lose the charge to change the valve.

I have a new valve on the way, the entire system is new or rebuilt, and the expansion valve was a brand new one. I had to take the system apart because some left over crud in the evaporator clogged up the low pressure side filter, and wasn't sure if the little bit of stuff that came out of the evaporator may have caused issues with the expansion valve or anywhere else in the system. Im thinking not as I checked the rest of the lines and compressor and its all still clean, but I guess I will just replace valve to make sure its working.

I've never tested one off the car. Now on the car with it running and the ac on and a guage set hooked up you can spray refrigerant on it or co2 on it and watch the pressure on the guages

Auto Transport Service
Back