• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Texas Title Help

tlt23

Local time
1:43 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a 16 Hellcat that has a TX - NONREPAIRABLE TITLE. I had my brother in law go look at it and looks good. The damage was of course flood. The water didn't get inside and was to the bottom of the door (from pictures, who know if that is true) but insurance was so kind to total it. My brother said it runs and the computer is working (dash, lights, windows...)
So what do I have to do if I bought this to get it on the road. I am from Nv, and resident of Wa state. I know they allow rebuilding a salvaged car, do I have to take it there and have it inspected and retitled and registered there?

Thanks for any help.

I know here they have rebuilt or salvage titles but have no idea what is required to get it on the road...
:popcorn:

Here in Georgia.. You can have repairs made and then have the car inspected by the DMV which if im not mistaken is a State Trooper that comes and inspects it. Once its inspected you get a paper stating that is is safe to be on the road Then you file it and get a rebuilt title. Which is weird. I had a Dodge Dakota RT that had a "rebuilt" title. After I transfered it into my name the title came to me as a normal title. Didnt have rebuilt all over it like the previous title did. Below is some information that may help.

https://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/salvaged-vehicles.php

http://www.txdmv.gov/reports-and-da...on-for-salvage-or-nonrepairable-vehicle-title

And last but not least.. This PDF file is the manual.. http://www.txdmv.gov/publications-tac/doc_download/3450-salvage-nonrepairable-manual

Hope this helps. Or you can do the same thing with NV DMV.

https://www.dmv.org/nv-nevada/salvaged-vehicles.php Nevada DMV info

Last edited:
I think non repairable is just that . I know salvage can be fixed and checked to get a title to tag it but non repairable I believe is no sir never again on the road !

The fact it has a salvage title does not necessarily mean a vehicle is non repairable. It's just a record of an event. You must check with your state's motor vehicle department to see what is required to title & register the vehicle in your state. That being said, be VERY wary of a flood car, and if it's salt water, walk away.

Texas nonrepairable title means you have a car that can never be retitled as a salvage etc in the issue state which is Texas as road worthy....So as noted above check with your state dmv if they can convert it to a salvage title...I am sure there is a strict process to follow but it is possible....

Interesting. So, in Texas there is a non-repairable title (for parts ? ) and a salvage title ?

I contacted the Washington DMV and they said Flood vehicles are not ever able to be put back on the road. IDK why that is. Other damage can be repaired.
I called Nevada in case they would could put it on the road and DMV said they will allow flood cars, but because Tx put Nonrepairable on the title then Nv cannot ever have it rebuilt and put on the road again.
Well I guess the next step is look to see what it would take to put all that into my sons 72 Challenger if it worth it or just keep the 440 and build.
Thanks all for the help. Too bad I don't know anyone in Tx DMV that can recode something like that.

Last edited:
I'm looking at picking up a 16 Hellcat that has a TX - NONREPAIRABLE TITLE. I had my brother in law go look at it and looks good. The damage was of course flood. The water didn't get inside and was to the bottom of the door (from pictures, who know if that is true) but insurance was so kind to total it. My brother said it runs and the computer is working (dash, lights, windows...)
So what do I have to do if I bought this to get it on the road. I am from Nv, and resident of Wa state. I know they allow rebuilding a salvaged car, do I have to take it there and have it inspected and retitled and registered there?

Thanks for any help.
I remember seeing a lot of flood damaged cars show up for sale in Maryland at a Ford dealership. They were all former Texas Dept. of Public Safety Interceptors. The paint scheme was obvious. They were clean on the outside, but when you opened the hood, or took off an interior body panel, you could clearly see how high the water got, which was about 2/3rds of the way up the body.

The best way to verify how high the water got is to pull door panels, kick panels, etc. off and look for indications of flooding (rust, water line, debris, etc.)

What really annoys me is a criminal could get a new coded title with little more than a click of his fingers and this car is back on the road. If a law-abiding citizen wants to get it, they can't.

Auto Transport Service
Back