• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The cars that made America

65-440

Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
Anyone else watching this 3 part series on the history channel ? What an awesome show, lots of stuff I had no clue about. Very informative. If you're not watching, I highly recommend finding it and catching up !

I caught part two last night. Going to try and find part 1

Im mad at myself for missing that.
I had it on my mental calander and that obviously failed again.
Ill catch it on demand.

History channel in my area Cox Cable starts 8pm to 10pm. They repeat it at 12am ends 2:04am.

Part 3 just started here. Very informative series - glad I ran across it.

Ill catch it on demand.
You should be able to. I know this Saturday they are airing the entire series start to finish.

Watched Part 1. The rest is on my DVR. Very cool series...

evidently, Chrysler didn't exist between 1949 and the Plymouth Cricket..... weak

Last edited:
I have been watching, what an awesome series! History channel does a great job on these historical documentaries. Watch "The Men who Made America" if you ever see it, all about Rockefeller, Carnegie, Edison, etc. a very, very, great documentary. This auto one kind of picks up where it leaves off.

I was OK with the series until the middle of Part 3 when they showed the actor portraying John DeLoren making a GTO out of a 4 door Buick. I hope the early stuff
I watched was more accurate than that.

Watching part 3 right now. Gotta love those new drag radials on the 56 chev lol. But worse then that, no b bodies! They don't even mention the 426 hemi! All fords and GMs

I watched all 3 episodes and I was disappointed with the brief mentioning of the muscle car era. That time period was documented with GTO's and Mustang's.

They didnt mention the countless others that made a strong effort and failed because of being to far ahead of there time.. something like this one..

:)

DSCF0823.jpg

I was OK with the series until the middle of Part 3 when they showed the actor portraying John DeLoren making a GTO out of a 4 door Buick. I hope the early stuff
I watched was more accurate than that.

I have heard stories of DeLoren developing and testing his 389 in a Buick on Woodward Ave.
I do think that was a 56 Merc that had the flathead in that GM was boasting about though.

I have been watching, what an awesome series! History channel does a great job on these historical documentaries. Watch "The Men who Made America" if you ever see it, all about Rockefeller, Carnegie, Edison, etc. a very, very, great documentary. This auto one kind of picks up where it leaves off.

"Men who Made America" was awesome, a perfect 10.......... what I watched last night was a 2 out of 10, and not just for lack of Mopars.....my opinion

and to add insult..... after watching it, I have the urge to restore and hotrod an Edsel, I like em!

e59cor2c.gif

543101-1000-0.jpg

Ill catch it on demand.

The fabulous Mopars of the 60's HP decade were not even mentioned, you didn't miss that much.

Not very much mentioned about Chrysler's contribution in the muscle car era as their cars and ads really fired up my generation. Nice to see some mentioning of Woodward Ave. as I was there at the time.

I watched all three nights and was disappointed. The name of the show was "The Cars That Made America", but should have been called "The Men Who Made The Cars That Made America." They spent far more time on the executives behind the Big Three and their families and cohorts than they did on the cars.

The other thing that irritated me was they had about 15 minutes of show, then five minutes of commercials, then when they came back they would spend five minutes recapping all the stuff they just covered! That wasted a LOT of airtime.

Auto Transport Service
Back