• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Proper way to cook a Rib Eye steak

I got my wife to try some stuff out that Pops had been suggesting here recently. But enough about the Gold section :rolleyes:
So we had some beautifully cooked Scotch a couple of nights back. Medium rare is where our taste is right now, and it was excellent. I cannot go past my mushroom sauce, mashed potato and fresh sweetcorn on the cob - is right in season now. Sorry no pics of the whole meal....but this was the steak fresh from the oven;
upload_2017-1-17_18-3-43.png

:thumbsup:

LOL, several years ago when we were in Vegas, we went to a little Italian Steak House on the strip. Ordered drinks and got menues. No prices on the menue. We asked about prices and got the old " if you have to ask, you can't afford it" look. We paid for the drinks and left ! ................MO

Yes. I work in the service industry (restaurants) and we sell different items for high dollar.

I used the bake and then sear method tonight and the steaks were amazing. I stsrted with prime filets, made baked potatos, and a garlic lemon pepper asparagus.

I would say I got lucky with the wife at the end of the night but then I'd be lying. Once you have kids, sex goes out the window.

So to all you without kids, if you value sex, dont have them. Haha.

Well I won't complain as much. It's still too much.

And what's with all of these weird cuts lately? I can't even remember what some of the names are. I'll have to write them down the next time I'm in the store.

I guess it's like they did to chicken a few years ago. Chop, chop, there ya go. White mixed with dark on the same piece.

you're right with all the "weird" cuts there, Kid. Vegas Strip Steak (which comes from the chuck lol) is the first one that comes to mind. They gotta come up with something new for the marketing ya know. Keep it fresh.

I got my wife to try some stuff out that Pops had been suggesting here recently. But enough about the Gold section :rolleyes:
So we had some beautifully cooked Scotch a couple of nights back. Medium rare is where our taste is right now, and it was excellent. I cannot go past my mushroom sauce, mashed potato and fresh sweetcorn on the cob - is right in season now. Sorry no pics of the whole meal....but this was the steak fresh from the oven;
View attachment 388629

LOL
What part of the cattle does the Scotch come from, Rog? looks like chuck and looks quite tasty indeed. :thumbsup:

you're right with all the "weird" cuts there, Kid. Vegas Strip Steak (which comes from the chuck lol) is the first one that comes to mind. They gotta come up with something new for the marketing ya know. Keep it fresh.
So what is the difference between "Vegas strip steak". " "Kansas City strip" and "New York strip"? I like you, have never heard of some of the steaks that are available. Isn't a" Porterhouse" the same as a "T bone"?.................MO

So what is the difference between "Vegas strip steak". " "Kansas City strip" and "New York strip"? I like you, have never heard of some of the steaks that are available. Isn't a" Porterhouse" the same as a "T bone"?.................MO

A porterhouse and a t-bone are the same cut. The difference is that to be classified a porterhouse, it has to be a certain thickness and the filet part is bigger, if I'm not mistaken. I defer to Marpar tho if I'm wrong.

LOL
What part of the cattle does the Scotch come from, Rog? looks like chuck and looks quite tasty indeed. :thumbsup:
Google is my friend....
upload_2017-1-18_15-50-3.png

Mario, you probably know the Scotch fillet by the name "Rib-Eye". It's a lovely cut to eat, and my choice closely behind Eye Fillet.

I never put much thought into how I cook a steak, I only eat red meat once a week, so when we get home from the market, I take it out of the package, rinse it off, dry it with paper towels, and the wrap it with cheese cloth, put it in the fridge until I am ready to eat it (4-6 days).

It will lose a little weight while its in there, I have weighed before and after and a 3lb roast will weigh around 2.5lbs after its aged in the cooler. It will have a tough crust on it, shave that off with a knife, sprinkle some salt and pepper on it, put it on a pan, and let it sit out of the counter with the thermometer in it until it reached 60 degrees.

Preheat oven to 450, put the 60 degree roast in the oven at 450 for maybe 10 minutes then shut the oven off and open the door, let the temp drop down and then put the oven on 300 until the roast reads 120 in the center, a small cut takes very little time..

I have cooked my weekly read meat that way for 15 years, and I look forward to that first bite every week, it comes amazing and I was taught that a long time ago by a cousin who went to johnson and wales U, after going to his house for dinner and tasting real beef for the first time. It comes amazing, better than any cut you get in a restaurant.

Its called something, like ice book curing or aging... it works

I never put much thought into how I cook a steak, I only eat red meat once a week, so when we get home from the market, I take it out of the package, rinse it off, dry it with paper towels, and the wrap it with cheese cloth, put it in the fridge until I am ready to eat it (4-6 days).

It will lose a little weight while its in there, I have weighed before and after and a 3lb roast will weigh around 2.5lbs after its aged in the cooler. It will have a tough crust on it, shave that off with a knife, sprinkle some salt and pepper on it, put it on a pan, and let it sit out of the counter with the thermometer in it until it reached 60 degrees.

Preheat oven to 450, put the 60 degree roast in the oven at 450 for maybe 10 minutes then shut the oven off and open the door, let the temp drop down and then put the oven on 300 until the roast reads 120 in the center, a small cut takes very little time..

I have cooked my weekly read meat that way for 15 years, and I look forward to that first bite every week, it comes amazing and I was taught that a long time ago by a cousin who went to johnson and wales U, after going to his house for dinner and tasting real beef for the first time. It comes amazing, better than any cut you get in a restaurant.

Its called something, like ice box curing or aging... it works

haven't heard anyone talk about "fake" steak yet , do you guys even know about what you're being served ?
we had a huge scandal over here when people discovered they were not getting fillet steak when they bought "fillet steak "
apparently there are no laws over there making them tell you what you're buying
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eat-glue-pig-blood-stick-steaks-together.html
I think what your link is referred to as "pink slime" in the USA. Commanly used as filler in hamburger and other meats. I know our grocery store sells a bacon wrapped , what looks like fillet mignone.. Tough as shoe leather. A resturant probably could tenderize it , and sell it as the real thing................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back