• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The quality of parts in 2017

mopar73dge

Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
After many years of working on this Charger (37) and the many parts changes I have done,
I have come to the conclusion that todays parts do not match what the factory had in quality and longevity.

I am now on my 3rd water pump 3rd starter and 3rd distributor.

The original pump lasted over 80000 miles, the second one, some how let go and the impeller started rubbing inside of the housing, only after 7000 miles and that was a new one The 3rd, the gasket that came with it decides to seep, it is those black ones like paper or something, not knowing I used it. This last one the 4th,is a new heavy duty Car Quest for police duty. It too had the black gasket, thin paper like, well I purchased the Fel Pro blue, thicker and a better material. for only 2.29 more, The starter I replaced lasted 100000 miles, was original have since replaced with a heavy duty many years ago and still going... The distributor, new they claim the shaft was bent out of the box,the reluctor hit the pick up coil, returned it, bought a even better quality for 20.00 more, so far so good. The original dist. lasted over 1000000 miles and of course the bearing wore out.
The heater hoses I purchased, sorry no pics. yet from Year One Inc, reproduction, very thick and very hard to install has anyone had this problem?, well just replaced and the 5/8 going on the pump side, seemed to come apart at the end when I just re installed with a clean cut end, the pump nipple some how pushed against the hose end causing it to leak which I thought was the bypass hose all this time. Hours of extra work, the hose seems to be made in two layers, well I went to the parts store got the Gates 5/8 inch hose does not look like the original but went on in a few sec and every thing is back and with out leaks, so much trouble. I remember having the two original Chrysler 5/8 heater hoses from the valve to the heater core, thinner material original with 135000 miles on them still like new always came on and off very easily for projects under the hood over many years, It goes to show you these reproductions are not that accurate when compared to the originals. Those aluminum straps that tie the hoses up for 73 models, it is not like the original material. Mine is a softer aluminum the re pros are stiffer and harder mix of material.

I have learned to do some home work over these years and not accept poor designs or poor quality. There are many other parts I have found that are NOS and I am happy they still exist. My 318 Charger now has 168000 miles on it. I will have my original Chrysler radiator rebuilt by Glen Ray in the Spring.

Yep, parts are very poorly manufactured today. For years now my brothers quote was "Parts and products are manufactured to fail today,not to last".
I have had Gates fuel hose rot away in less than 2 years.I got my truck from a guy that had a new radiator installed and within a month the top tank split. I got a starter that the small connection nut was so tight out of the box that the whole stud turned breaking the wire off inside the starter.I removed the stud,mounted it in a vise,and it took a loud "SNAP" to break it loose.And it's not just automotive. Installed a whole house water filter,with in a month the 24'' housing split. and the hot water tank with a 5 year warranty lasted 5 years and 2 months before it sprung a leak.

Last edited:
There is just too much Chinesium used in today's parts.

I spent way too much on a NOS Chrysler water pump for my 318. Dropped the temperature 6 degrees and obviously designed better than the GMB that lasted all of 4 months and 4000 miles.

I agree, lots of crappy parts out there. This is why I always search for NOS parts when possible.

Auto Transport Service
Back