• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat

Most, including me would disagree strongly.

How is running no thermostat better? Why does every factory car ever made have a thermostat?

180 deg t/stat is perfect.

Every car that came off an assembly line doesn't make enough power to run 121mph in the quarter mile at 3600 lbs. Mine uses a stock '65 radiator and a slightly modded clutch fan. All the thermostat does is get the engine up to operating temp faster.

What works for me may or may not work for others. Mine gets to 180° quickly and stays there. All a thermostat would do for me is restrict flow.

Every car that came off an assembly line doesn't make enough power to run 121mph in the quarter mile at 3600 lbs. Mine uses a stock '65 radiator and a slightly modded clutch fan. All the thermostat does is get the engine up to operating temp faster.

What works for me may or may not work for others. Mine gets to 180° quickly and stays there. All a thermostat would do for me is restrict flow.
I respect your view. However a thermostat does not only get engine up to temp faster, it also prevents engine running too cool in cold weather.

All a thermostat would do for me is restrict flow.
Conversely, the coolant needs enough time inside the radiator for it to absorb & dissipate the heat. Insufficient time will only result in hotter coolant returning back into the block.

I also prefer a Stant....I also drill a small air bleed hole in the flange to allow easy filling and self bleed of air in the block. I would not drop below 180 degree thermostat. You do not wish to build up unwanted deposits in your block especially if this engine see mostly short local runs.

I just got a Milodon 180 to install in my 440ci.

Where does one drill the holes?

See pics. I put some blue marks on where I think the holes should get drilled. Let me know which is best

thanks,

watermelon

IMG_0905.JPG IMG_0906.JPG IMG_0907.JPG

With a Stant-Superstat 180.

Hmmm - that could be. I better check that out. Never even looked. Just assumed ..... my bad for doing so.
Funny - I checked it out and the builder never put a thermostat in when he rebuilt the motor. I just picked up a Stant *180 to put in this weekend. I just assumed - but wondered why the motor ran so cool. I've been running it for the last 2000 miles w/o one. Live and learn.....

Take your time resealing the housing. They can be an issue. If it is chrome, throw it away.
Mancini Billet.

Take your time resealing the housing. They can be an issue. If it is chrome, throw it away.
Mancini Billet.
Wait a minute I thought you were the one heavily promoting the Stant? This is what it looks like.

IMG_0175.JPG

Regular old Stant. I drill 2 small holes in the flange to bleed the air out. On the housing, if it is old and cruddy I will sand it down on a flat surface. I use hightack on the housing side of the gasket only to hold the t stat in position

I didn't pick up on the "Superstat" part of the picture. I had to order one from Pep Boys. Neither they or Napa carried that part - just the regular one. I'm going with the experts here and get the Super version.

I prefer the o ring style housing, never a leak and they come in black, polished or scuff and paint to match your combo.

I still have the stock housing that came with the car. I don't really need anything pretty on there or see any point in changing what I have. When my thermostat comes in I'll see if there's any need to swap that out - doubt it.

I still have the stock housing that came with the car. I don't really need anything pretty on there or see any point in changing what I have. When my thermostat comes in I'll see if there's any need to swap that out - doubt it.

Lasted this long...

Auto Transport Service
Back