• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throw the BOX!!?

I did a lot of testing. I am sure someone will say they are running a chrome or gold box for years. Not with a .25 ohm resistor I bet that will let it get to 10K but prob a 1.0 ohm which will keep it cooler but will limit the rpm max for sure. Tested a bunch of combinations to play with so basically the lower the ohm the more RPM and heat it will generate. Usually why a ballast resistor burns out is the key on and engine off. We are all guilty of that one. At say engine off key on they draw on the average 4 amps through the ballast, running 2.3 or so big difference.

View attachment 1647162
so what's your favorite ECU recommendation and with what resistance ballast (or no ballast)?

Mopar have to run a ballast. Each application has a different purpose really what you want to achieve.

When they went to the lowest bidder

Or a guy with a paint brush , Blue 7500 to Orange

They’re back and Mancini Racing has them. The famous Chrysler electronic ignition controller, the Mopar Performance Orange Box (part no. P4120505), is again available for Mopar enthusiasts. The Orange Box’s performance will rival the units from decades ago because, according to the company’s website, “Mancini Racing went to Mopar’s original supplier to remake the performance Orange Box!”
OK thats funny high fail rate look at them even a "fake" transistor. One of the reasons they fail. Long but beats up the ecu's out there. once again "Mopar authorized."

7500 - Made by an original Mopar / Chrysler vendor, but with latest all-silicon SMD "chip" technology. Comparable to the MP "chrome box", better than "orange box", yet it looks so similar to the OEM stock unit, for that coveted "stealth" appearance!

Yawn
Probably the best box available new today.

OK thats funny high fail rate look at them even a "fake" transistor. One of the reasons they fail. Long but beats up the ecu's out there. once again "Mopar authorized."

[/URL]

[/URL]

Probably the best box available new today.
So printing on the transistor is good? Also what is the difference between the orange and the Chrome and are they reliable?

Yes look at the link. RPM is the difference with the right rated ballast resistor.

When they went to the lowest bidder

Or a guy with a paint brush , Blue 7500 to Orange

They’re back and Mancini Racing has them. The famous Chrysler electronic ignition controller, the Mopar Performance Orange Box (part no. P4120505), is again available for Mopar enthusiasts. The Orange Box’s performance will rival the units from decades ago because, according to the company’s website, “Mancini Racing went to Mopar’s original supplier to remake the performance Orange Box!”

7500 - Made by an original Mopar / Chrysler vendor, but with latest all-silicon SMD "chip" technology. Comparable to the MP "chrome box", better than "orange box", yet it looks so similar to the OEM stock unit, for that coveted "stealth" appearance!

Yawn
So is the 7500 the best bet? And where do you get them?

Around 2000 the orange boxes went downhill. Big clues are AUTHORIZED or REPLACES on the sticker of the MP box. Biggest fail of the real boxes is mis matched ballast resistors, seriously!
What ballast resistor should I run with The Orange box. Not looking for high RPM, just reliability.

My petronix in a Halifax hops distributor has been going strong for three years so far.

What ballast resistor should I run with The Orange box. Not looking for high RPM, just reliability.
Who's orange box real Mopar authorized or a box just orange? Usually one ohm to be safe on the street. Not knowing which coil you have.

Last edited:
ecu chart 2.pngecu III.pngECUApplication.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back