• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ticking Noise in a 1970 Roadrunner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundhd

Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner; 383; 3:91 gear; auto; PS; PB; A/C. Have a strange "ticking" noise that started late this summer. Only happens when I am accelerating from a stop, up to 40 MPH/around 2000 RPM then the "ticking" noise goes away. Sounds like it is coming from the engine bay but really hard to tell for sure. Does not happen when I rev it up in park. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue and what was done to correct it?

thanks
"stumped" in Michigan

Update: Replaced the exhaust pipe to manifold flange gasket but did not fix the problem. Have ordered a manifold gasket set.

Last edited:
Converter flex plate loose....or a convertor bolt backing out and touching the shield? Lifter noise?

I went with what I said because I had the converter bolts touching the shield one time. The shield wasn't perfect but nothing hit it that I was aware off but one day I heard this ticking sound.....but can't remember if it was happening on or off the gas. That was like 25 years ago.

Or maybe heat riser flopping around?

Wow, that could be A LOT of different things....depends on the "tick"
1. flex plate bolt is an interesting possibility
2. gunked up lifter would be my first guess
3. worn pushrod
4. worn rocker
5. small exhaust leak (does it "pop" when you rev it up & let off the gas pedal?)
6. timing issue & detonation is possible - does it stop if you run 93 octane or race gas?
7. How's your oil pressure? cam bearing starting to spin?
8. fouled spark plug?
9. plug wire backing off?
10. timing chain a little loose causing cam timing issues?

With 3.91's and up to 40mph at 2000, it sounds like your ticking all the way up until you get into 3rd gear, right? (or overdrive)

I have a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner; 383; 3:91 gear; auto; PS; PB; A/C. Have a strange "ticking" noise that started late this summer. Only happens when I am accelerating from a stop, up to 40 MPH/around 2000 RPM then the "ticking" noise goes away. Sounds like it is coming from the engine bay but really hard to tell for sure. Does not happen when I rev it up in park. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue and what was done to correct it?

thanks
"stumped" in Michigan

Maybe the OEM clock finally started working?

Some noises, like lifters or exhaust leak, will be audible at idle or revving in park. Seems like the scenario he describes is the engine under load. It could also be a couple things purple noted. And depends on what you call a ticking noise and when you hear it. A spark jump, as well.

It means car is junk. Just ship it to me. I'll take it off your hands. lol No mine was doing that and the pipe that connects to manifold was cracked. Hope you find yours, it took me awhile

My first thought is it being an exhaust leak at one of the manifolds.

thanks
"stumped" in Michigan

Update: Replaced the exhaust pipe to manifold flange gasket but did not fix the problem. Have ordered a manifold gasket set.

Did you ever find out the problem?
Years ago , I had a similar problem with my 383 auto and it turned out to be a very fine crack running out from a flex plate bolt. Only occurred under load, but up through most of the RPM range.
Good luck, Will be interested to hear what it is.

thanks
"stumped" in Michigan

could be a LOT of things. all of the mentioned above, a bad lifter, a bad rocker arm.
years ago I had a 383-4v Charger. tick tick tick noise. I removed all fan belts, ONE AT a time. Listened to each component with a stethoscope, Listend to the Power steering pump, the alternator, the water pump. removed all fan belts. removed the fuel pump and ran the motor. still had the sound and it sounded like it was coming from right behind the distributer under the turkey pan intake.
I consulted with friend who was in the business much longer then I. He said it might be a wrist pin or it might be a piece of carbon that broke loose and is bounceing around in the cylinder. SO..... get a bottle of Wynns SPIT FIRE. Get the motor to operating temperature. Manually get the carb on the fast idle step of the cam. Put your finger over the end of the bottle of spit fire and start pouring it into the carb. when half the bottle is gone, dump the whole bottle and STALL the motor. WAIT about 4 hours. Now take the car out (in my case it still ticked but much quieter) and test drive it.If the tick is less, put it in LOW gear and drive it like you stole it. This blew the chunk of carbon out. I was LUCKY.

thanks
"stumped" in Michigan

adjust the lifters. tic will be gone.

My money is on spark knock. Check you octane rating and cheap way to check is put additive in gas for a tank and see. My 440 did it and my 383 started. Note though, I had been using same gas from same station with no problem. It just started out of clear blue and in speaking to station owner he said sometimes there are 'weaker' gas delivered. All is not picture perfect the same all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back