• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to hit the Track.

That's sad, that's really bad !!
some of the worse I've seen

----------------------------------------------------

& almost as bad as some of the stuff I got from Unlimited,
a few years back {they use to be OK/Decent stuff a decade ago, quality went to ****}
extremely poor quality/workmanship...
The Bumpers I got were really bad,
outer gel-coat was ok, nice & straight, no cracks etc.
BUT; edges were rough as hell,
big voids in the back of the glass resin
& looked like a 3rd grader cut them out,
then the driving lights/blinker holes have
no mounting reinforcement & holes no lip no,
no support for the lights etc.

Even for race weight stuff, I don't expect much,
but they're just supposed to be thinner & lighter,
not total crap quality...
I can easily fix the stuff, they won't, I won't let them,
I won't even waste the shipping cost back to them even...

-------------------------------------------

No excuse for that quality at all...

Sorry you have to deal with that stuff...

I'd never let something like that go out the door,
if it was my company, especially to a fellow member on FBBO

That's sad, that's really bad !!
some of the worse I've seen

----------------------------------------------------

& almost as bad as some of the stuff I got from Unlimited,
a few years back {they use to be OK/Decent stuff a decade ago, quality went to ****}
extremely poor quality/workmanship...
The Bumpers I got were really bad,
outer gel-coat was ok, nice & straight, no cracks etc.
BUT; edges were rough as hell,
big voids in the back of the glass resin
& looked like a 3rd grader cut them out,
then the driving lights/blinker holes have
no mounting reinforcement & holes no lip no,
no support for the lights etc.

Even for race weight stuff, I don't expect much,
but they're just supposed to be thinner & lighter,
not total crap quality...
I can easily fix the stuff, they won't, I won't let them,
I won't even waste the shipping cost back to them even...

-------------------------------------------

No excuse for that quality at all...

Sorry you have to deal with that stuff...

I'd never let something like that go out the door,
if it was my company, especially to a fellow member on FBBO

Thanks and appreciate the concern. I more than understand exactly what you went through, I'm heading down the same path straight away.
When I was carrying the hood after taking it from the box I could see light shining through in spots so I weighed it, 13 lbs.. Advertised weight is 17 to 18 lbs.
It's too bad, I was assured of good quality and workmanship and I took a chance. A gamble.
There is no option to return, it is what it is. Friends and members can take a look at the pics and do their own evaluation.
Bumper and hood with shipping costs came to 867 US Dollars. 3.5hrs driving one way, border tax and currency exchange, $1,300.00 and change.
Ironic, last weekend I was looking at an AAR glass hood that was on a Dart in the staging lanes and thinking, man this is a nice hood, boy it will be nice to get my stuff!

Last edited:
Well let's see what Glass man has to say
In my opinion he owes you $. Don't you dare mess up that nice ride with that stuff.
Doug

Larry wouldn't work with you on this?
Called and spoke to Larry regarding the pieces. He said that minor imperfections can be fixed up with bondo, and that he didn't notice anything wrong with them. I told him the problems that exist. He said that he'll call me back next Monday so we'll see. I've also sent him pictures of both pieces so hopefully theres some restitution.

Last edited:
Well let's see what Glass man has to say
In my opinion he owes you $. Don't you dare mess up that nice ride with that stuff.
Doug
Yes we'll see what where it goes. No chance of this stuff getting near the Plymouth.

The last pieces I bought I requested pictures of the flaws that would need fixed before shipping. I went through a couple pieces before I gave them the ok to ship. Also protects you from damage due to shipping. The biggest pain is the lost time!

The last pieces I bought I requested pictures of the flaws that would need fixed before shipping. I went through a couple pieces before I gave them the ok to ship. Also protects you from damage due to shipping. The biggest pain is the lost time!

Makes good sense. You were dealing with a company that will reply and that you can leave a message with. Yeah the time lost is not good. I offered to gladly return ship the items, asked for refund and being the best I can about it.

We have Larry's Hood, and bumpers. They've been all pretty decent. I think I had to slap a little spot putty on them before I sprayed them... but nothing major. (I've done fiberglass so I know it's not going to be perfect)

BUT this isn't a production problem it's a shipping problem.

I'm sure Larry will make it right.

I have Larry's hood , bumpers and scoop on my 64 Polara and have run them for the past 4 years with no complaints.
The stuff I got from him at that time , 4 years ago, is far better quality than what I see in your pics. Hope he makes good on it......
John B.

I've used US Body source fenders on a Valiant in the 1990 with excellent results. Had a Mr Fiberglass hood on my 67 Belvedere- good quality and thickness but had to reinforce it as the outer corner curled over at 130 mph.
Current have a VFN RO scoop and hood on the Coronet. Little heavy but stay true to form and no transparency.
Glad I've no reason to ever get any Sled City stuff cause from what I'm reading...
The outcome of this will be interesting.
Waiting to see. :popcorn:

My 64 hood was from AAR. Nice fit. No flex at 150mph. 21lbs w/o scoop. Before and after paint.
Doug

B154.jpg DSC_3673.JPG

We have Larry's Hood, and bumpers. They've been all pretty decent. I think I had to slap a little spot putty on them before I sprayed them... but nothing major. (I've done fiberglass so I know it's not going to be perfect)

BUT this isn't a production problem it's a shipping problem.

I'm sure Larry will make it right.

I sure hope your right Endangered about making it right. But I'm not sure, he was to call me back today and I've heard nothing. The hood isn't a shipping problem, but it is a careless poor quality job along with a severe lack of product. The bumper should have been packaged with a proper box giving it some protection. In thin rounded up cardboard though it never had a chance. Hoping your right.

My 64 hood was from AAR. Nice fit. No flex at 150mph. 21lbs w/o scoop. Before and after paint.
Doug

View attachment 501116 View attachment 501117
Doug your fibreglass hood from AAR looks great. Larry @ Sled City assured me that I would be getting quality pieces as well and I took him on his word. Paid him in full, and just wanted good quality pieces. With his experience, I should have gotten top end items.
I spoke with him last Friday and he told me that he was going to think on it and call me back today but I've heard nothing. Also sent him lots of pictures to verify my issues. I hope that he stands behind his product and makes it right.

Last edited:
I think Malex is being extremely kind & patient,
must have a big heart, he's beeing far more understanding than I'd be...
I certainly wouldn't be at this point, I know there's 2 sides to every story
too, but photos don't lie & not from the "alleged" responses we heard so far...

What the hell does he have to "think on it" about ?

I'm not speaking for Malex, he can speak for himself I'm sure,
I'm speaking for myself & like minded people on the forum/members behalf...

Sled City should make it 100% good, shipping & repairs
or IMO you're due a total refund...

IMO customer service & quality is everything,
More so, "your companies reputation" is far more important
than "1 crappy job", for just a little profit, putting out the customer,
that's poor business practices, poor workmanship & finish on a single hood...
IMO it should be a no-brainer...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Mods/Joey
We should "have a sticky" about bad customer service & bad products
so people can see the issues regularly, all in 1 place easy to find
& so others don't have to go thru that crap, let both sides make their points...
Maybe it may make the suppliers think twice "about sending inferior
&/or crap, poor quality products", making the customer suffer,
make the customer ship "****" back & forth again or incur any more
wasted time &/or more wasted expense, "because of the co.'s **** up"...
Especially to members here on FBBO...
I take it personally, I'm sure others do too, especially more so from
a fellow member here, when they're regular contributors &
are suppose to be the "trusted member, alleged expert",
using FBBO & it's members to hawk & profit off their products etc....

sorry for the rant, sometimes I wear my passion on my sleeves;
Yes I know mistakes happen too, **** happens we all know that...
But this is blatant poor craftsmanship, poor quality control,
poor packing/shipping & it shouldn't have ever left his shop like that

-----------------------------------------------------------

By the way his/Sled City's suggestions to paraphrase;
"to just use Bondo, to cover crap, voids, imperfections"
Yeah Bondo/filler maybe in little pin holes, extremely small air pockets etc.,
Especially when it isn't structural or strong enough, it's not intended to
be used like that "ever" & no where near as strong as fiberglass & resin,
especially when fiberglass is done properly/correctly the 1st time
& "Bondo" also has a tendency to crack when applied thick,
causing more issues down the road/track latter...
"That fiberglass & resin, should have been done properly, in the 1st place"

Last edited:
I'm sure he'll be 'thinking' for a long time. Over the years Larry has had pretty lousy customer relations on problem parts. He is one guy I would never recommend to anyone. Just too hit and miss for my comfort....

Thanks for the support and input guys. It's an unfortunate situation and the fact is that if Larry doesn't step up there's not a damn thing I can do about it. A full voice mail box, a full message box and no answer makes it tough to get anywhere on this.

Doug's hood is what this one should have arrived like. While my 64 is not the same calibre as Doug's, it's pretty nice and to install something like that would be shocking and stupid to do.

IMG_4344.JPG

Regarding the front bumper, yes it cracked in shipping but besides that I didn't elaborate too much on the quality of it. But have an up close look and judge for yourself. The comment of this being a shipping problem, not a production issue. Really?
IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

IMG_4347.JPG

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4349.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

Man, I feel bad for you.
No excuse to send that kind of **** out to a customer.
And for the comment that it was a shipping problem....
WOW!
Good luck with you're fight.
Hopefully he'll be a man and make it right for you.
All I know is that if one of my customers has ANY type of issue with what I've done, I drop everything and run to them to make it right in their eyes.
That doesn't make me a rich man, but it does make me a satisfied one.

Looks like a shipping problem to me!

crazy_eyes.jpg

I say shipping AND packing issue. Probably wasn't packaged as good as it should of been and being couriers are always very careful when the handle items (insert sarcasm here,) it got damaged. I had a dash shipped to me once before and arrived broken. Seller says I need to deal with shipping not his issue. It was placed in a box with no packing. Nothing is going to survive shipped that way.

Auto Transport Service
Back