• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire size

Here's 275/60/15 on 8" rims with 4.5" backspacing on my '64 Polara. Stock rear suspension and tapered axle diff. Plenty of clearance to the springs and fender wells.

View attachment 500164
Hello Centerline.
I am glad that you have posted a pic complete with info.
I have purchased a pair of new steel rims for my 64 dodge 440, and I would like to put the biggest tire that I can under there.
The rims I have purchased are 15x8x41/2" backspace. I know that a lot of people on this forum are using 275/60/15 tires on a 41/2" back space, but your saying that you still have a bit of room left for possibly more tire. Measurements on a 275/60/15 are 27.3" high, section width (Total width) 11.3", tread width 9". Do you think that a 325/50/15 which is 28.10" high, section width 12.5, tread width 10.5 would massage up in there, If I ever learn how to post some pics on here I would like to post some pics on a few things of my car here.
I had 5.7 Hemi do a super stock grille for me which turned out really good, I know ya need a pic, Let me know please thanks. Preachr Canada.

Hello Centerline.
I am glad that you have posted a pic complete with info.
I have purchased a pair of new steel rims for my 64 dodge 440, and I would like to put the biggest tire that I can under there.
The rims I have purchased are 15x8x41/2" backspace. I know that a lot of people on this forum are using 275/60/15 tires on a 41/2" back space, but your saying that you still have a bit of room left for possibly more tire. Measurements on a 275/60/15 are 27.3" high, section width (Total width) 11.3", tread width 9". Do you think that a 325/50/15 which is 28.10" high, section width 12.5, tread width 10.5 would massage up in there, If I ever learn how to post some pics on here I would like to post some pics on a few things of my car here.
I had 5.7 Hemi do a super stock grille for me which turned out really good, I know ya need a pic, Let me know please thanks. Preachr Canada.
I'm not really sure you could stuff any more tire up there without relocating the springs. I have "plenty" of clearance which basically means a comfortable amount so the tires won't rub anywhere. Anything larger would make me nervous. If you use a spring relocating kit you could probably get those 325/50/15's under there. Someone else here may have a better idea... opinions and experience vary.

Good luck.

I'm not really sure you could stuff any more tire up there without relocating the springs. I have "plenty" of clearance which basically means a comfortable amount so the tires won't rub anywhere. Anything larger would make me nervous. If you use a spring relocating kit you could probably get those 325/50/15's under there. Someone else here may have a better idea... opinions and experience vary.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info Centerline, appreciate it. Preachr

I just put L60-15 on a 8" rim with a 4.25" back space. With the wheel mounted on a 64 Dodge you can see how much clearance there is between tire and spring. To outer wheel well I have 1 inch maybe a little more of clearance. If I had to do it over I'd go for a 4.50" backspace.

View attachment 500142 View attachment 500143

Do you think that American racer tire would fit a 15x7 and look right?

The sidewalls might be a liitle more rounded looking due to narrower rim. Im not sure the American racer recommends a 7in rim as being that narrow. You might want o check with them to make sure the tyre will work with a 7in rim

Auto Transport Service
Back