• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tires for nastalia drag racing

garymopar

Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
who sells the correct slicks on a 1964 car (nastagia)

Read the rules for nostalgia, and buy appropriate tires for your setup and power level.

Radir slicks are made by Mickey Thompson.

I was going in that direction but bought M/T ET Street Pro's.

Radir slicks are made by Mickey Thompson.

I was going in that direction but bought M/T ET Street Pro's.
Radir's look perfect, but do not hook up at all. We run stock eliminator tires. We are still running bias plys, but lots run radial slicks. 29 x 9 x 15. Good luck

The most popular bias ply slicks that most guys use in NSS are Mickey Thompson 31 x 10.5W x15 and 29.5x 10.5Wx 15 slicks.
With not a lot of run on my 63 Plymouth with stock fender wells and not mini tubbed, I run Hoosier 29 x 10.5W x15 slicks

NENDRA AT DOVER REUNION 9.26.16.jpg

It seems like most sanctioning bodies limit is 10.5 wide for NSS classes, wider for FX classes. Unless you've got lots of money, trying different tires is prohibitive so you want to get it right the first time. You might be lucky enough to have friends with different tires that you can try. My 64 (NSS /B, 10.50 index) does not have any tub work so I went with the Hoosier 30X9, 92.5 circumference radial slick. I went that way solely on the recommendation of a good friend that has a legal SS 64 Plymouth and has raced it forever and with whom I have great respect for. He was right. I don't race much. I race mostly at Mopar events but they are at different tracks, at different times of the season. I have never had issues with traction regardless of the weather or track conditions. I like running higher tire pressure than bias slicks, car seems more stable. But, as they say, "results may vary". Any tire cannot stand alone as a comparison. Suspension, gearing, weight distribution and other factors that contribute to the overall "combination" of your specific car will determine the outcome.
Post some pics and good luck.
64.JPG

It seems like most sanctioning bodies limit is 10.5 wide for NSS classes, wider for FX classes. Unless you've got lots of money, trying different tires is prohibitive so you want to get it right the first time. You might be lucky enough to have friends with different tires that you can try. My 64 (NSS /B, 10.50 index) does not have any tub work so I went with the Hoosier 30X9, 92.5 circumference radial slick. I went that way solely on the recommendation of a good friend that has a legal SS 64 Plymouth and has raced it forever and with whom I have great respect for. He was right. I don't race much. I race mostly at Mopar events but they are at different tracks, at different times of the season. I have never had issues with traction regardless of the weather or track conditions. I like running higher tire pressure than bias slicks, car seems more stable. But, as they say, "results may vary". Any tire cannot stand alone as a comparison. Suspension, gearing, weight distribution and other factors that contribute to the overall "combination" of your specific car will determine the outcome.
Post some pics and good luck.
View attachment 388733

I tried the hoosier 30 x 10.5 radial slick and it chattered so hard that I thought my teeth were going to fall out.
I think I didn't have enough air pressure. took them off after the 2nd pass and sold them.

I tried the hoosier 30 x 10.5 radial slick and it chattered so hard that I thought my teeth were going to fall out.
I think I didn't have enough air pressure. took them off after the 2nd pass and sold them.

Tire pressure on radials is something you've got to figure out. If all you've ever run is bias ply's, the thought of 18-20 pounds just seems weird. I've settled on pressure around 18.5 lbs. That seems to be my sweet spot. What surprised me is how they work being only 9" tires. What I like the best is the noticeable stability at speed. I probably say it too often but it's the total "combination" that determines the outcome. I'm no rocket scientist so I usually chalk it up to good advise or dumb luck.

Not sure this will help, I have 15x8 4.5 offset. M&H 275-60-15, had 3" studs, was tuff getting the wheel mounted, ended up having them machined to 2.5" in length, much better, also the "section width" of the tire was a concern to tuck them up there.

I use the Hoosier 30 x 9 radial slick and they always hooked good for me. As long as I stage in the grove where the cars have been launching it hooks good all the time. I like that I have no walking on the top end like the bias tires did a little. And I only run Super Stock springs and the longer MP non-adjustable shocks. I like the fact they fit in my stock wheelwells with room to spare and work good for me. I run 16 to 18 psi in them as thats seems to work best for me. Ron

413103758.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back