• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TKX Conversion - SST Supplied Hydraulic Clutch Components

Charlie Brown

Local time
9:48 AM
Reaction score
In conversation with Shane at SST regarding their hydraulic components, I asked about their supplied master cylinder vs a Wildwood unit. He told me their supplied unit is identical in every way to the Wildwood except the name. Does anyone have any experience between the two? I see a lot of people like using the Wildwood unit over the other supplied unit, but if they are the same as stated .......?
Also, supplied with their kit is a Super HD FTE concentric slave cylinder (hydraulic throwout bearing). FTE supplies components for todays new vehicles. Any views on their reliability vs other brands?
Learning lots as I dig deeper into this conversion. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
The two I've gotten are Wilwood... The one I have from a previous Kiesler install is something else & definitely inferior...

I have a couple of the FTE slaves... They work well & appear to be a quality part... Actually better made that the Ford OE stuff from the 90's...

The Coronet Tremec swap I helped with last year came with the off brand clutch master cylinder. My Tremec kit from 2021 had the Wilwood.
This may have been a cost saving move by Silver Sport.

Go Wylwood and look at previous threads on how much pedal that you want. .625” for a softer feel and longer stroke or .750” for stiffer pedal and short throw. .750” is in my sons car.
Now, to be fair the OBD slave failed in 900 miles. The replacement Wylwood went 10,000 miles and developed a stickiness where the pedal grabbed on the return. I replaced it and the dissection revealed some obvious misalignment as two rub spots showed at opposite mirror ends. I added a washer to move the alignment over. I am not sure how to make sure you are 100% in alignment without doing the install, running 1,00 miles or so, pull it back out and disassemble it. That is way to much work so just be prepared down the road for the need to go back in to it. This model does not have a rebuild kit available so I just keep one on the shelf. At this point I can R&R in under 2 hours by leaving the hoses attached at the slave cylinder end and disconnect from the transmission side and the fill reservoir.
So long story short, under a misalignment condition the Wylwood unit went 9,000 miles longer before failure.
If I find some time I will snap some shot of the failed unit. The good news is that it gave warning signs where the OBD leaked internally and would not shift.

Go Wylwood and look at previous threads on how much pedal that you want. .625” for a softer feel and longer stroke or .750” for stiffer pedal and short throw. .750” is in my sons car.
Now, to be fair the OBD slave failed in 900 miles. The replacement Wylwood went 10,000 miles and developed a stickiness where the pedal grabbed on the return. I replaced it and the dissection revealed some obvious misalignment as two rub spots showed at opposite mirror ends. I added a washer to move the alignment over. I am not sure how to make sure you are 100% in alignment without doing the install, running 1,00 miles or so, pull it back out and disassemble it. That is way to much work so just be prepared down the road for the need to go back in to it. This model does not have a rebuild kit available so I just keep one on the shelf. At this point I can R&R in under 2 hours by leaving the hoses attached at the slave cylinder end and disconnect from the transmission side and the fill reservoir.
So long story short, under a misalignment condition the Wylwood unit went 9,000 miles longer before failure.
If I find some time I will snap some shot of the failed unit. The good news is that it gave warning signs where the OBD leaked internally and would not shift.
@BMosely
is this a SST install? Or a Kiesler Install? Because the Slave cylinder mount design was changed & the SST design should keep things aligned & supported much better...

The kiesler design used a modified (cut down) front bearing support and two spacers, it supports the inner diameter & one ear of the release bearing/cylinder... The SST design uses a redesigned front bearing retainer and full sized shims that fully support the release bearing & cylinder...

Kiesler design..

thumbnail_IMG_8943.jpg

SST Design..

thumbnail_IMG_8960.jpg

The bottom part (about 1" thick) is the new front bearing retainer...
Then there is a shim (about 1/4" thick)
And finally the throw out bearing... All three pieces have interlocking features so nothing can shift.... Alignment is centered and straight by design...

thumbnail_IMG_8941.jpg

Last edited:
No issues on the throw out bearing but my kit was SST with McLeod hydro. The above conversation is the slave cylinder alignment on the firewall to pedal.

No issues on the throw out bearing but my kit was SST with McLeod hydro. The above conversation is the slave cylinder alignment on the firewall to pedal.
The one on the firewall is the master....

Auto Transport Service
Back