• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

to crate or not to crate?

I'd ballpark a 383 long-block core at around $400-$500. I honestly think you should rebuilt what you have. Turn down the crank if necessary, recondition the rods using high-strength rod bolts, assuming you have to bore the block, pick some higher compression forged pistons, install a little bigger cam/lifters/springs & rebuild some stock heads (the '74+ style with hardened valve seats....452's I think???) & you could probably do some very minor cleanup on the ports/valve pockets if you want to. Probably can do the whole thing for $2000-$2500'ish

thats the number for just the parts.. plus the additional 3500 for the engine shop which all told isent a bad number.. was thinking about doing basically this http://www.hotrod.com/articles/new-life-for-mopar-383-big-block/

using the http://store.440source.com/Stroker-Kits/products/3/

does seem like it would be a shame to ditch the 383..

thats the number for just the parts.. plus the additional 3500 for the engine shop which all told isent a bad number.. was thinking about doing basically this http://www.hotrod.com/articles/new-life-for-mopar-383-big-block/

using the http://store.440source.com/Stroker-Kits/products/3/

does seem like it would be a shame to ditch the 383..

Not all all insinuating that you need to buy a crate engine, let alone my crate engine, but just watch the #'s to keep yourself "honest" and make sure you're getting your best bang for your buck.

I'm reading your post above as your machine shop wants $3500 total labor to assemble and machine your existing 383?

so 3500 plus the 2300 440 source kit is 5800.... are you re-using your bone stock heads? Are you re-using your bone stock cam? valve springs? intake? even head gaskets...intake gaskets, oil pan?.... that stuff adds up pretty quick if not.

Can you drop it all off at a machine shop and get it done for less $? yes thats 100% possible. Just saying its a pretty close call all said and done, and then there is the matter of a warranty, vs a handshake. Again not straying anyone one way or another...just playing devils advocate.

Not all all insinuating that you need to buy a crate engine, let alone my crate engine, but just watch the #'s to keep yourself "honest" and make sure you're getting your best bang for your buck.

I'm reading your post above as your machine shop wants $3500 total labor to assemble and machine your existing 383?

so 3500 plus the 2300 440 source kit is 5800.... are you re-using your bone stock heads? Are you re-using your bone stock cam? valve springs? intake? even head gaskets...intake gaskets, oil pan?.... that stuff adds up pretty quick if not.

Can you drop it all off at a machine shop and get it done for less $? yes thats 100% possible. Just saying its a pretty close call all said and done, and then there is the matter of a warranty, vs a handshake. Again not straying anyone one way or another...just playing devils advocate.

yeah your right
stroker kit: $2300
heads: ~$1200
misc: $1000
machining/labor/fluid/seals etc:$3500
total call it : $8200

there is also 1-year warranty.

Now if bought the crate engine I was quoted 1000 for install labor..
And I'm not positive my water pump and other components will just bolt on.. so we are at ~$8800. Might have another ~$1000 in additional parts to get it rolling..
10k is probably a realistic number..

Kind of a total grab bag of which way to go..

also i just thought about it , my exhaust headers wont bolt right onto that crate engine so thats another few hundo

yeah your right
stroker kit: $2300
heads: ~$1200
misc: $1000
machining/labor/fluid/seals etc:$3500
total call it : $8200

there is also 1-year warranty.

Now if bought the crate engine I was quoted 1000 for install labor..
And I'm not positive my water pump and other components will just bolt on.. so we are at ~$8800. Might have another ~$1000 in additional parts to get it rolling..
10k is probably a realistic number..

Kind of a total grab bag of which way to go..
The turn key dressed is 8500...more fuel for that comparison

http://paceperformance.com/i-839638...et-cam-base-525-hp-590-ft-lbs-carbureted.html

Auto Transport Service
Back