• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tools Explained

Spent a lot of time fighting with your fellow millwrights over whose job something was on a jobsite. 16 years in the Union, and the lines are still blurred to me.

I know clearly what you speak about.
I started in 1976 as an apprentice in my chosen trade. -On my first job, I learned about internal fighting about "jurisdiction":eek: (with pipe fitters).
Many stories of jurisdictional conflicts --are under my belt--- with the Ironworkers Union. (most were ugly and counterproductive for all involved)
For the last 25 years of my working, I have been a GF on every job. Some with only me and some with 30+ working for me.
So I can easily say that --I have been there and done that.:)

Since this is a thread about tools--
I also was on the executive board of my local union for 18 years (unpaid position).
I personally have given myself as being a --"tool" to build what we have to date.

I know clearly what you speak about.
I started in 1976 as an apprentice in my chosen trade. -On my first job, I learned about internal fighting about "jurisdiction":eek: (with pipe fitters).
Many stories of jurisdictional conflicts --are under my belt--- with the Ironworkers Union. (most were ugly and counterproductive for all involved)
For the last 25 years of my working, I have been a GF on every job. Some with only me and some with 30 working for me.
So I can easily say that --I have been there and done that.:)

Since this is a thread about tools--
I also was on the executive board of my local union for 18 years (unpaid position).
I personally have given myself as being a --"tool" to build what we have to date.
As an Ironworker, I installed steel "man doors". I did the frames, the doors and the closures. However, I was not allowed to install the knobs. That was the millwrights job. Why? I have no idea.

As an Ironworker, I installed steel "man doors". I did the frames, the doors and the closures. However, I was not allowed to install the knobs. That was the millwrights job. Why? I have no idea.

You ask a question that has no realistic (or practical) answer. This gets into the guts of what our "negotiators" do/did to gain power and control for their little cozy.
Hate the other guy (union) and take what can be taken.--An age-old fight--
The -stupid- bottom line is --all of us (on any project) are working for a common goal.

I am strongly resisting the temptation to draw parallels to current political issues. But I see it to --all be the same basic conflict.--A quest for power and influence.--Simple sandbox kicking stuff--

You ask a question that has no realistic (or practical) answer. This gets into the guts of what our "negotiators" do/did to gain power and control for their little cozy.
Hate the other guy (union) and take what can be taken.--An age-old fight--
The -stupid- bottom line is --all of us (on any project) are working for a common goal.

I am strongly resisting the temptation to draw parallels to current political issues. But I see it to --all be the same basic conflict.--A quest for power and influence.--Simple sandbox kicking stuff--
When we all worked together, things got done a lot faster.

When we all worked together, things got done a lot faster.

I have shaken the hand of many ironworkers (and their bosses) -in my day- in huge job stopping conflicts.

The bottom line ---for EVERY conflict I was involved with-- was it was frivolous and stupid from the start.- X dollars were spent and the project suffered that cost. When looking for winners we sometimes dismiss the losers that we see in the mirror.

Ever consider there is a right way , and a wrong way to putting an adjustable wrench on a nut? ..................MO

Ever consider there is a right way , and a wrong way to putting an adjustable wrench on a nut? ..................MO
I have. The "right way" works just as well as the "wrong way". It is a versital tool.

Yea, they round the nut off equally both ways.

Sometimes a nut/bolt will "round off" because they are either soft or stuck to the point that they are toast anyway.
Also when a bolt or nut has rusted- it tends to get smaller on the flats and reduce the close fit needed for a dedicated wrench size to fit as intended.
An adjustable wrench can make up that difference from original size vs actual size.
I found this video and was surprised at how well it would fit in this thread.-(wrenching issue:))

Last edited:
Thanks Ws, I didn't spend the entire 18 minutes watching the ways in which a MSW can fail, especially with a cheater but I get the jist.
I would rather grab a real wrench. A MSW has it's uses as any tool does but breaking loose tough stubborn nuts ain't one of them. If a nut has shrunk I would rather try a metric socket or wrench or drive a socket that is a bit too small over it then hit it with an impact. If that fails chisel. If that fails cut off wheel. If that fails, torch. :thumbsup:

Breaking stubborn stuff loose is the funnest part of this game.

Thanks Ws, I didn't spend the entire 18 minutes watching the ways in which a MSW can fail, especially with a cheater but I get the jist.
I would rather grab a real wrench. A MSW has it's uses as any tool does but breaking loose tough stubborn nuts ain't one of them. If a nut has shrunk I would rather try a metric socket or wrench or drive a socket that is a bit too small over it then hit it with an impact. If that fails chisel. If that fails cut off wheel. If that fails, torch. :thumbsup:

Breaking stubborn stuff loose is the funnest part of this game.

In my work, I once encountered a situation where 40+ bolts --had-- to be removed. --The head size (initially) was about 1/34 inch size.
Every bolt head had mushroomed from rust corrosion to the point of flaking off rust in small flake slabs.
I ordered a set of impact sockets (by 1/32 increments) to cover the range of sizes to deal with this.

Chiseling off the rust flakes from the bolt heads -and hammering on the nearest proper fitting socket wrenches for each bolt gave 100% success. No need to drill out any of them.

A good lesson learned is to --not ruin-- the head of the fastener with a first attempt. --It will only make the next step a bigger headache.

Sometimes a nut/bolt will "round off" because they are either soft or stuck to the point that they are toast anyway.
Also when a bolt or nut has rusted- it tends to get smaller on the flats and reduce the close fit needed for a dedicated wrench size to fit as intended.
An adjustable wrench can make up that difference from original size vs actual size.
I found this video and was surprised at how well it would fit in this thread.-(wrenching issue:))

If not a U.S. made Crescent it junk.

I thought I had saved pictures of the tools we destroyed trying to get the original pitman arm off of my son's 72 Duster but I can't find them.
900 foot pounds of torque can raise hell on things. Lots 'o shrapnel flying in the shop that day but we eventually won.

I thought I had saved pictures of the tools we destroyed trying to get the original pitman arm off of my son's 72 Duster but I can't find them.
900 foot pounds of torque can raise hell on things. Lots 'o shrapnel flying in the shop that day but we eventually won.
Tools are just that. They work or fail. Blaming a tool for a problem is silly.

Nothing like watching a guy breaking tools! Lol

Every tool has it's limitations. Knowing what that is before useing it is the key.

mechanic-smiley-emoticon.gif

When faced by deadly Ninja's, you can always resort to power tool accessories to disable the opponents....

It also helps to have an Aussie accent.
:D

Auto Transport Service
Back