• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque converter question.

PappyJoe

Local time
1:37 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to make sure of the correct stall I need. I've done a fair amount of research and it looks like 2800 to 3200. I'm leaning more to the 2800 for gas mileage reasons if I'm understanding them correctly. Here's the info.

1971 Satellite.
04 5.7 hemi
545rfe
355 gears
295 20 tires
Comp cam 112-502-11 with 2000 to 6200 rpm range.
Don't think it matters but heads have been reworked with beehive Springs, titanium clips, etc.
Under-drive pully.
Car is being built to take to shows, do stuff like the power tour, etc. Highway driving.
I think that's the info needed.

Input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

The big concern is heat from a slipping converter as you are cruising at 2000 RPM in overdrive on the highway
so add a good cooler

Have you talked with any converter manufacturers? I have noticed a lot of requests here for advice, yet few ask the experts. Any of these companies are happy to talk with customers. If one isn't, call another.
Good luck with your choice!
Mike

I agree with contacting the experts. Plan to do that today. I thought someone might be running the same type setup.

Both 4th and 5th are overdrive, so mileage will still be great. I had 3:91's with 275's, got over 20mpg when on the freeway.

I did call TCI today. Torque converter is ordered. 2400 to 2600 stall. Should work fine for my purposes.
Thanks
Joe

Auto Transport Service
Back