• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar advice

subforry

Local time
3:50 AM
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the front suspension on my '66 Charger. The car seems to slam into the road on dips and such. I expected the KYB gas adjust shocks to be bad, but they are ok.

So does that leaves me with worn out torsion bars?

I think they are original, I haven't removed them yet. The car was a 361, AC, power steering. The build sheet lists left as 777 and right as 776.

Now the car has a 440 with aluminum intake and water pump, the rest is cast iron. Currently no AC compressor but I plan to add a modern one.

Do I need new torsion bars? Where to buy? Spring rate recommendations?

Thanks.

20231119_160212.JPG

I haven't installed them yet, but I bought a pair of PST 1.03" diameter torsion bars. Besides those, there are some 1.10" Hotchkis bars and factory bars (that I am aware of)

I haven't installed them yet, but I bought a pair of PST 1.03" diameter torsion bars. Besides those, there are some 1.10" Hotchkis bars and factory bars (that I am aware of)
I just installed the PST 1.03" bars over the summer.
They work great in my 66 Charger with a 383.
If its original I would recommend changing all the bushings:
Upper control arm
Lower control arm (yes the tough one)
Strut rods
sway bar links and k-member bushings

The 10" drums are marginal at best with a 440.

If its original I would recommend changing all the bushings:
Upper control arm
Lower control arm (yes the tough one)
Strut rods
sway bar links and k-member bushings

The 10" drums are marginal at best with a 440.
Got all this, except the k-member bushings. I will have to look into them.

I have the 1.03 PST bars in my 66 Hemi and they ride great.

I'm rebuilding the front suspension on my '66 Charger. The car seems to slam into the road on dips and such. I expected the KYB gas adjust shocks to be bad, but they are ok.

So does that leaves me with worn out torsion bars?

I think they are original, I haven't removed them yet. The car was a 361, AC, power steering. The build sheet lists left as 777 and right as 776.

Now the car has a 440 with aluminum intake and water pump, the rest is cast iron. Currently no AC compressor but I plan to add a modern one.

Do I need new torsion bars? Where to buy? Spring rate recommendations?

Thanks.

View attachment 1560521

Car looks awesome with that paint and vector wheels.

KYB "gas-a-just" shocks are inferior to Bilstein, Monroe, even Harbor Freight junk.
The only time a KYB shock is remotely adequate is when the car is mostly stock and the torsion bars are too. The KYBs are a digressive design, which means that the movement of the shock is initially harsh but they soften up during longer travel of the suspension.....exactly opposite of the good shocks.
A quality shock is progressive, where they absorb small movements but tighten up toward the end of the travel. Imagine marrying a woman that puts out when you first meet but refuses you the longer you know her. She is the KYB shock absorber of women.
Sure, they are CHEAP but are they worth it?
No, they are not.
The stock "spring rates" for our cars are different compared to what many of us prefer these days. Many classic Mopars had softer front rates than ideal with harsher rear rates. Years back, a company in Canada known as XV Motorsports did chassis testing on some classic Mopars and found that for a more modern feel, the cars needed more spring rate in the front ( larger torsion bars) and the rear could be left alone or actually softened up a little.
Even a 318 spec .88 torsion bar is woefully soft for a bare bones 318 car.
As previously suggested, the 1.03 bars are available and are a popular upgrade. There is a reason why that size is mentioned frequently, it is a good improvement over the skinny stock sizes.
I run a large set in my car, I bought mine from the FABO and FBBO site sponsor Bergman Auto Craft. He had surplus bars from XV Motorsports when they went out of business. When you pair the bigger torsion bars with good shocks, the car will ride better and handle quite well. You do have to do both though....simply switching to better shocks with stock torsion bars OR bigger torsion bars with KYBs is a mismatch that will not result in a good combination.
Good luck, Greg.

What KYB's do you have? Shocks control the springs and one of the jobs of the springs is to hold the car up. I stepped up to Bilstein shocks on my diesel 2500 and man, what a difference....it was like night and day!! What did you do to figure your shocks were still good and how old are they??

The shocks are KYB-gas-adjust, white, not sure on the part number. The way the car rode, I really expected them to be blown out. But the one I removed, expand and seemed to work.

I am in agreement about KYB vrs Bilstein. On the old Mercedes there is no comparison, the Bilstein handles so much better.

The car is a cruiser, not much else planned. It's real dog in terms of handling, the worse car I have. That is why I am doing all this work.

Thanks for all the input. I'm feeling good about the PTS bars and plan to get some. What are the Bilstein part numbers?

Contact Firm Feel and ask about the Bilstein RCD models. They are configured to fit the classic Mopars.

The shocks are KYB-gas-adjust, white, not sure on the part number. The way the car rode, I really expected them to be blown out. But the one I removed, expand and seemed to work.

I am in agreement about KYB vrs Bilstein. On the old Mercedes there is no comparison, the Bilstein handles so much better.

The car is a cruiser, not much else planned. It's real dog in terms of handling, the worse car I have. That is why I am doing all this work.

Thanks for all the input. I'm feeling good about the PTS bars and plan to get some. What are the Bilstein part numbers?
I've always went to a much better shock before changing springs. Even with pretty old springs, a much better shock worked really well.

If your torsion bars are not broken, they are more than likely not the issue. It is the shocks, lower and upper bushings along with sway bar bushings causing your noise. Like Kern said, get some Bilstein shocks and new bushings installed along with a fresh wheel alignment.

Auto Transport Service
Back