• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trick Flows on the 440.....

IQ52

Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
Finally getting close to dyno time.........will start it with the Victor intake, go to the dual plane RPM and then the 6-Pack. Should be ready Monday afternoon.

The Hemi blew the servo seals on the dyno because the dyno operator kicked full throttle in too quickly. No names but his initials were Jim LaRoy. Went from two to four bolts on the servo housing, ordered new gaskets and Cody should get back together Monday.

Tim Borrall 440 050.jpgTim Borrall 440 036.jpgTim Borrall 440 044.jpg

I'm wondering if we should surprise 69 GTX and paint his 6-Pack manifold Ford Blue like the RPM...........Naw, maybe not.

Tim Borrall 440 050.jpg Tim Borrall 440 036.jpg Tim Borrall 440 044.jpg

wow this is bad *** ! keeping an eye on this thread for sure !! thank you IQ52 I notice your running a stock valley pan, did you cut the openings to match heads or ?

I'd like to try these heads but I can't afford an increase in compression ratio.

I am building a Trick Flow wedge myself. It is a 446 with just under 11:1 compression, flat tappet solid cam, in a 69 Superbee with a 4 speed transmission.
I noticed the Trick Flow rocker shaft mounting studs are not available to ship out from Summit until 1st week of April. Bummer... Did you just use bolts or what?
I am going to disassemble my heads and look things over. Also going to check spring rates. Was contemplating touching up the exhaust ports to smooth out the CNC grainy texture. Did you do anything to yours or just bolt them on as is?
Good luck on the dyno. I will be curious what you come up with.

I just unboxed a set for a 4.500" stroke 537 pump gas wedge. It would seem that these heads were intended to be produced in a max wedge size raised port offering given the massive amount of material over the port. Interesting head for sure.

wow this is bad *** ! keeping an eye on this thread for sure !! thank you IQ52 I notice your running a stock valley pan, did you cut the openings to match heads or ?

The Valley Pan essentially fits the OOTB head port size. Because we were using a dual plane manifold the stock valley pan was our best option. 440 Source makes a aftermarket pan for the dual plane intakes but it does not fit the 6-Pack. We ported the 6-Pack intake and raised the roof about .060" so we did port the valley pan but retained the raised sealing boss of the stamped pan. For the Victor and RPM dyno runs they both will be a stock port window size and not raised like the 6-Pack.

I am building a Trick Flow wedge myself. It is a 446 with just under 11:1 compression, flat tappet solid cam, in a 69 Superbee with a 4 speed transmission.
I noticed the Trick Flow rocker shaft mounting studs are not available to ship out from Summit until 1st week of April. Bummer... Did you just use bolts or what?
I am going to disassemble my heads and look things over. Also going to check spring rates. Was contemplating touching up the exhaust ports to smooth out the CNC grainy texture. Did you do anything to yours or just bolt them on as is?
Good luck on the dyno. I will be curious what you come up with.

The Trick Flow stud kit contains ARP studs AJ2500-1B and nuts 300-8302.

I will never bolt on an OOTB head from a factory. Some of what we did to the heads is contained on page 28 of the 69 gtx thread in the Member's Projects and Restorations section. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?51515-69-gtx/page28

I just unboxed a set for a 4.500" stroke 537 pump gas wedge. It would seem that these heads were intended to be produced in a max wedge size raised port offering given the massive amount of material over the port. Interesting head for sure.

I would have loved to have ported these heads, used a Victor Max Wedge intake and another 30 degrees bigger cam in this engine.

i recently purchased some TF heads for my 347 SBF tow vehicle, man they are nice! high quality parts. i checked the heads for flatness, and pulled the springs off to make sure stuff was lubed properly.

they looked great, i chamfered the chambers to get the CNC flash off the edges of the chambers where they open to the deck surface, other than that, im throwing them on.
i wish i would have waited for theses heads before i purchased the 440source heads i have now.

my heads have more miles in shipping from the shops that prepped them that they have in the car...lol

It will be interesting to see how these heads in near stock form perform. When I first talked to Jim I told him I wanted to run 11.50 ET in the 1/4 run on 91 octane and have as close to stock idle as possible. Sure I'd like to go faster but I don't want to put a cage in the car.
Jim I think the performer is Petty blue! It would go with the B5 blue on the car. Maybe if they come out with a MW 6 pack intake you'll get your wish ;0) I was amazed at the valve to piston clearance, plenty of room for a bigger cam if I want more huh.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be interesting to see how these heads in near stock form perform. When I first talked to Jim I told him I wanted to run 11.50 ET in the 1/4 run on 91 octane and have as close to stock idle as possible. Sure I'd like to go faster but I don't want to put a cage in the car.
Jim I think the performer is Petty blue! It would go with the B5 blue on the car. Maybe if they come out with a MW 6 pack intake you'll get your wish ;0) I was amazed at the valve to piston clearance, plenty of room for a bigger cam if I want more huh.

Stock distributor and the Summit Racing brand which amazingly looks exactly like a FireCore50, go figure. We set it for 16 degrees mechanical so we can start right around 20 degrees initial.

Tim Borrall 440 056.jpgTim Borrall 440 058.jpg

And then up crops one tiny little problem, rotor phasing. The cam gear for the distributor/oil pump, intermediate shaft, intermediate shaft bushing, block and distributor tolerances have all added up so the rotor doesn't even point to the cap terminals at full advance.

Tim Borrall 440 059.jpg

Rotor's eye view @ 20 degrees initial advance. The red spot on the distributor housing is the width and location of the cap terminal.

Tim Borrall 440 062.jpg

Rotor's eye view @ 36 degrees total advance.

Tim Borrall 440 061.jpg

Let's fix it................

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the rotor's eye view of the rotor phasing after the fix.

@ 20 degrees initial

Tim Borrall 440 063.jpg

@ 36 degrees total

Tim Borrall 440 064.jpg

And the fix. The stock reluctor is on the left. The slot that lines up directly with one point of the reluctor is for small block distributors and the offset one is for the big block distributors. We needed more offset. The modified one is on the right. I had six chances to get it right and it only took two!

Tim Borrall 440 065.jpg

Tim Borrall 440 056.jpg Tim Borrall 440 058.jpg Tim Borrall 440 059.jpg Tim Borrall 440 062.jpg Tim Borrall 440 061.jpg Tim Borrall 440 063.jpg Tim Borrall 440 064.jpg Tim Borrall 440 065.jpg

That Summit dist does look like a Firecore. I don't recall my Firecore being that tall.
Can't wait to see the dyno numbers.

can't wait !! i got a set also... and a 400 block now saving $$ for the...best engine builder

Nice catch Jim. I see you had to clearance the valve cover, or am I seeing something else.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope the distributor isn't to tall and interferes with the aircleaner base.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to have to get Jim some OT pay for working on Sunday!!!!!

And then up crops one tiny little problem, rotor phasing. The cam gear for the distributor/oil pump, intermediate shaft, intermediate shaft bushing, block and distributor tolerances have all added up so the rotor doesn't even point to the cap terminals at full advance.

And the fix. The stock reluctor is on the left. The slot that lines up directly with one point of the reluctor is for small block distributors and the offset one is for the big block distributors. We needed more offset. The modified one is on the right. I had six chances to get it right and it only took two!

View attachment 310258

And THAT is exactly why I decided to have someone build my engine. As it was, at least half a dozen tiny situations cropped up with my build that my buddy, Kenny, handled with relative ease. Me, I would have hit that road block and it would have been over, red rover.

Nice catch Jim. I see you had to clearance the valve cover, or am I seeing something else.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope the distributor isn't to tall and interferes with the aircleaner base.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to have to get Jim some OT pay for working on Sunday!!!!!

Those are our dyno valve covers with the engine evacuation hose connections. Your covers won't have as big a whack out of them, if one is necessary.

This is like being a kid again waiting for Christmas!

Jim I know this might be a little off topic but is it possible to install a knock sensor that can be run in the car?

IQ52, I like the above post about the distributor and what you did, but you kind of lost me on what you were doing with the distributor. So as to not derail this post, could you start a new post about what you did to that distributor, how it started it out, what the issues are, and how you fixed it please. I'm curious to see if my MP dizzy has issues now.

Great, another thread to watch.. Hopefully I will be posting pictures soon of my build..

Auto Transport Service
Back