• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn Signal / Brake Light issue

What happens with the headlights on and nothing else on?
Problem is now either the flasher switch or still could be a weak ground at the tail light housing thus my question with the headlights.

With headlights on - symptoms are the same, as depressing the brake pedal illuminates all of the turn signal lights

NEW ISSUE discovered - I held the brake pedal down steady for 5-10 seconds. All turn signals illuminate and the ones in the dash seem to pulse. Stranger, the gas gauge goes from reading 1/2 to reading 3/4 and then returns to 1/2 slowly when letting up on the pedal. (1/2 tank is a good reading)

All wiring is believed to be original

With just the running lights on, no brake turn signals or flashers, does one or both of the dash turn signal lights come on?

Park lights don't work with or without ignition on. Dash turn signals don't come on with them either.

Work on the park light, and fuel gauge issues and the rest might be sorted out.

the park light issue was fixed easily - the fuse was blown. With the park lights on, the dash turn signals are not illuminated.
I could not replicate the fuel gage issue. Maybe pushing & pulling on all the connectors fixed that.
At the brake switch at the pedal, is the white wire connection closest to the driver seat and the pink wire towards the firewall ? I switched them in both positions and it did not seem to make any difference but I would like to get it correct.
I am thinking that the only place the leakage from the brake circuit could occur that would light all the turn signals would be the flasher switch (as moparmarks said) or the turn signal switch.
Is there a way to access and test the flasher switch ?

Work on the park light, and fuel gauge issues and the rest might be sorted out.
i want to reopen this thread as I have the switch panel out and Devin is rebuilding my dimmer switch.
Due to other issues, I have replaced the voltage regulator, battery, alternator, and battery cables over the last couple of months.
All lights work - the issue remains that all turn signals (rear, front park, fender mounted, dash) illuminate when the brake pedal is activated. The turn signals will flash accordingly as to which way I position the turn signal lever
If I remove the headlight switch - no change as all turn signals illuminate when activating brake pedal.
If I turn the car off and activate the brake, all turn signals illuminate. If I activate the turn signal lever, the side that is activated will not illuminate, only the non-activated side will illuminate when pressing the brake
I have tried grounding the rear lights, strg column, dash circuit board, and headlamp harness with no change.

Is it time to try a new turn signal switch ?

i want to reopen this thread as I have the switch panel out and Devin is rebuilding my dimmer switch.
Due to other issues, I have replaced the voltage regulator, battery, alternator, and battery cables over the last couple of months.
All lights work - the issue remains that all turn signals (rear, front park, fender mounted, dash) illuminate when the brake pedal is activated. The turn signals will flash accordingly as to which way I position the turn signal lever
If I remove the headlight switch - no change as all turn signals illuminate when activating brake pedal.
If I turn the car off and activate the brake, all turn signals illuminate. If I activate the turn signal lever, the side that is activated will not illuminate, only the non-activated side will illuminate when pressing the brake
I have tried grounding the rear lights, strg column, dash circuit board, and headlamp harness with no change.

Is it time to try a new turn signal switch ?
Sounds like the emergency flasher switch is on? Do the emergency flashers work?

the switch panel and all of the switches have been removed from the car
when the flasher was hooked up, the emergency flashers worked as they should.
Then you must have a feedback in one of the bulbs or sockets. Its a very simple system.

Then you must have a feedback in one of the bulbs or sockets. Its a very simple system.
A pink hot wire runs to the emergency flasher from the fuse box.
From the flasher, a wire runs to the flasher switch (currently removed) and to the brake switch.
When the brake is applied, the circuit at the brake switch is complete.
Current then runs from the brake switch via white wire to the turn signal switch.
Limiting thought to only the front of the car, no current should be running to front park light/direction signals or the fender mounted signals, but it is.
go over all wires again looking for leaks
turn signal switch - replace
not sure what a feedback is or how to find one ?

Is this too simple ?

there is a low brake warning switch wired in with the front light/signals - could that be an issue ?

Auto Transport Service
Back