• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two exhaust manifold gaskets???

Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
i developed a ticking under the hope and I believe it's the exhaust manifold. I took the manifold off and found two exhaust manifold gaskets with both metal sides facing the head, not the manifold. Weird. Hopefully this is what's causing the ticking.

I've only owned the car 4-5 months so I'm finding weird stuff like this occasionally.

IMG_2753.JPG

you didn't say what engine, but IIRC big blocks don't use gaskets since the manifolds have a smooth machined surface.

I've never seen any gaskets on the exhaust manifolds new from the Mopar factory over the years from the 60s or 70s, but over the years of use they can start to leak. Try Remflex gaskets they work great.

I use two dougs header gaskets on manifolds and headers it helps me with leaks

Motor is a 383. I don't know what brand the headers are but they seem to be mad well.

I'm aware they didn't come with them from the factory. I don't see issue with using one now though. I used FelPro because I've had luck with them in the past. I used red RTV high temp and put a small bead around the ports and snugged them up. I'm gonna let it sit for an hour to an hour and a half and then torque everything down.

I use two dougs header gaskets on manifolds and headers it helps me with leaks

I've never seen two gaskets before but I guess it can be done.

Previous owner had them facing the wrong way though. The metal is supposed to face toward the manifold. He had them in facing toward the heads.

you didn't say what engine, but IIRC big blocks don't use gaskets since the manifolds have a smooth machined surface.

I guess I should've given more info. They are after market headers. Don't know the brand.

After dealing with leaks on for years on all brands I have started double gasketinf and never looked back I know it is hard to get used to, it took me awhile, but they don't leak after that

After dealing with leaks on for years on all brands I have started double gasketinf and never looked back I know it is hard to get used to, it took me awhile, but they don't leak after that

It probably would've worked if he turned it the right way. I just started it and no ticking. I'll let the rtv cure over night. Hopefully it'll hold.

OK..you said in your original post manifolds...but headers do take gaskets. The only reason I could see to have two on each is an less than straight flange.

OK..you said in your original post manifolds...but headers do take gaskets. The only reason I could see to have two on each is an less than straight flange.

That's what I thought but I think it was because he was putting the metal side the wrong way. If he put a single gasket the wrong way it would've leaked fast so maybe he thought he needed to put two gaskets. It held for a little while but started leaking again I guess once I bought it.

Doug's headers, stage 8 fasteners, and Remflex gaskets here

Header.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back